PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I'm a Granger lover too, and new to this forum. I've only ever smoked the Pinkerton version but I have an STG can on deck. Do you find them very different from one another?
Yes. You should love what STG has done with the blend. Tastier, milder and better quality control. Let me know what you think when you get a few bowls into your tub. — Pull that tab! And welcome to the forum.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I enjoyed the one pouch I got. I found the topping to be reminiscent of luxury twist flake, which I prefer over all so would not feel the need to buy SWRA again.

SWR however is a great favourite of mine, I call it my 'nothing smoke', by which I mean it is bland in a good way.

Reactions: Puff nstuff

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
Tossed in with my most recent order is a pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. I did this on a whim and in large part to the touting of @mso489 who’s opinion I’ve come to trust. I base this on his thoughtful commentary on numerous topics. — Let’s see he’s right about SWRA.
View attachment 104118
I remember well the last time I’d smoked SWRA. I’d purchased a foil pouch and a cob while on a vacation with friends to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. We stayed in a town called Duck, enjoying the fishing from the beach and the crabbing from the shallow bays.
This was in September of 1995. How can I be certain? Well, I was up late playing cards when my wife called me to bed. My buddies said, “Go ahead”. I said, “No way! She’s gonna make me stay, sleep or worse!” —Well, it was worse and my son Tom was born in 1996.

My memory of SWRA is a bit more hazy. I recall enjoying the smell from the pouch. I don’t recall it having any flavor. But perhaps I was puffing too hard while fishing.
View attachment 104119
I’ve opened this modern iteration and found it moist. Ive set out a bowlful to dry a bit. The pouch smell is agreeable, likable, pleasant. But overpowering to any scent of the tobacco. Remember, I’m not an aromatic fan. Potpourri isn’t something I’m looking forward to igniting and tasting.

I’ve eyeballed that bowlful pretty good! A little more than I could stuff and keep a nice draw. I can’t say it felt any drier to the touch, it’s loaded with humectant. I’m dreading this….
View attachment 104120
Upon lighting, it’s unobtrusive in the way I find Captain Black to be. It’s far less an in-you’re-face-aro. But what flavor I can detect is artificial. The faintest hint of that marshmallow sweetness that comes from it’s heavy topping sours me. The room note is nice in a potpourri sort of way. It’s not something I’m enjoying. I’m not waving it under my nose to enjoy its side-stream as I do with Prince Albert, Pegasus and Granger —I get much enjoyment from that old-tyme-pipey smell that these favorites provide me.

My verdict: If you enjoy a light, not overly done aromatic with a room note that those around you will likely find very pleasant, SWRA will not disappoint. —I’ll likely never revisit this again. There’s nothing wrong with it. Simply not my cup of tea.

The trip to memory lane was worth the $5.89 USC. But did you know that it costs nearly $250,000.00 to raise a child from birth to adulthood? -and that’s just for the alcohol.

Thanks, Tom
Hi Tom, SWRA was my second everyday blend. Carter Hall was my first then I bought a tub of SWRA by chance and loved it. Then I saw some forums with how people liked SWR regular better. I bought a pouch of it and found that I like burley forward if not an all burley blend. I smoked that for a few years before discovering Prince Albert. Then my friend, you know the rest! Pegasus and Winchester are my two main blends now. I still have a few tubs of SWRA and regular in my cellar. The new stuff coming out of Denmark is not good. Tastes and smells nothing like the Tucker GA made tobaccos that stayed true to the original recipes from Brown and Williamson. When Lane moved production to the Scandinavian Tobacco Co plant in Denmark I stocked up on all Lane products. I went as far as buying a half case of Lane Limited Ready Rubbed a few years ago lol.