PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Thought to give the floor to another rarer tobacco now that I got my hands on it and had a few good sized bowls. I was excited for this one because I love VaPers, it comes in rope cut, and should have great ageing potential.

It is Synjeco's Holker Twist, a VaPer rope made by Gawith for Synjeco.

In terms of appearance, you see it below, it is a very thick rope, dark brown and oily, inside there are bright and brown tobaccos, with a few bits of black which must be the 7% Perique. It does not smell like a VaPer in rope form, it smells more like the other Gawith ropes.

I cut a few coins for each bowl, 5-6 paper thin coins or 4 thicker ones, and left to dry overnight each time. They did not dry to a crisp, needed 4-5 lights to take, but then needed far fewer relights than expected, and did not smoke wet at all.

Taste is interesting, interesting because it doesn't have highs and lows, it's sort of middle ground. For me it tastes a bit like DLNRs, 633 or StBernard Flake, quite sweet in fact with limited spice. Some grass here and there, as well as whiffs of Gawith's powerful earthy, oily, dark Virginia used in their brown ropes, I'm sure it is the wrapper leaf so there's very little of it, it does show up though.

Overall it is not strong in nicotine, but the taste is very good and full, Perique spice is limited, if anything this tobacco is stewed fruity-sweet, the spice only became obvious for me at the last third of the bowl. I didn't pick up any "Lakeland" from the smokes I had, just straight up, honest, sweet, smooth and cool-smoking VaPer. Will be getting a lot more of it.

Attachments

• HT 1.jpg
    HT 1.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 4
  • HT 2.jpg
    HT 2.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 4