PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thekiltedchaplain

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2011
Here is a pic of some tampers I recently made and sold to my local B&M. They're made of Cherry and Whitetail Deer Antler, with the bottoms being either .45 or 30-30 shells that I ground down and added a beveled edge to. Comments are welcome, and I'll post new ones soon.

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
middle one antler?

possible bore tusk?

they all look super!
a piece of petrified wood should make a pretty nice one.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Nice looking tampes. I'll second Chucks suggestion. You should join us in the tamper swap.
I purchased a Delta Midi about 5 years ago and till just recently used it to make tampers and pipes. These are as close to a metal lathe as you can get without spending the money for one. You can actually work aluminum with a file and make your own ends for tampers with this lath, if you take your time. And they sell some wonderful attachments for the lathe too, such as chucks and drill chucks.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Another good source is Grizzly Industrial. Most of the equipment they sell is made in the same factories as Jet and Delta. The main difference is price and paint color. My main lathe is from Harbor Freight and has proved excellent.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-x-33-3-8-eighth-inch-wood-lathe-with-reversible-head-34706.html

I haven't used on but have heard good reports on this model from them as well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-speed-bench-top-wood-lathe-65345.html

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I was actually looking at the $600 variable speed midi lathe by Delta on woodcraft.com. I'll probably try my hand at carving a few pipes by hand before I go for a lathe to get the feel for the wood. It's been a long time since I've done any actual woodworking.

Status
Not open for further replies.