PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdb67

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2020
Albuquerque, NM
The majority of tobacco reviews and commentary on tobacco is centered around the taste of the blend or the taste of constituent tobaccos as they burn. I must have a terrible taster as I just don't taste that much. But I have a pretty good smeller and it is the whiffs of smoke while I am smoking that really float my boat right now. A pouch of Carter Hall with 4 flakes of University Flake is my idea of an easy-smoking, but pleasant smelling mix...the berry is just enough to get may attention. The image is my Grandfathers's simple home and him on the porch smoking. Old Dublin is an intoxicating smell...most likely the Basma coming in and out and sometimes the smokey latakia. Old Dublin in my mind is sitting in an old English manor next to the fire with a dog laying close by. Plum Pudding is more of an incense-like smell...but very pleasant. An Englishman in East India.

Does anyone else have this tendency to be drawn to the smells and not getting much in the taste department? I admit I am a new smoker and I do hope taste becomes more of the experience for me as I move forward, but for now it is really the smells I enjoy.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
According to Mrs. Jaytex, I have no taste. I do, however, have a smell....

nana

I'm the opposite of you. I rarely "get" tin notes but my taster provides most of my enjoyment.

1591157251002.png

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
That actually makes a lot of sense for me. I will work on that!
I inhale through my nose, sort of the reverse of retrohaling. But in general, embers is right, doing either certainly enhances both the smell and flavor a ton.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
When i first started with the pipe and bought an aro i thought it would taste like it smelled. I was very disappointed i lurked in the shadows of this site and learned more and now i am more about how the tobacco tastes and smokes and get subtle smell and taste. I learned to enjoy smoking the pipe and not trying to smell something

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I cannot remember the last time I opened a fresh tin and stick my nose in it to smell it.I open a tin, I grab a flake put it into my pipe and then smoke. I get the flavors from my nose and mouth and I am off and running.

jdb67

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2020
Albuquerque, NM
I'm not talking about tin smell. Specifically talking about not being able to really taste anything from the smoke, but the smoke itself I find very pleasant as I get a whiff of it...which I of course try to do quite a lot.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Food is tasteless when you have a stuffy nose. Taste and smell seem intimately connected. I don't know if they can be separated.

Agree.

But the tin note, sniffed before ignition, often gives no clue as to what the tobacco tastes like when smoked. At least to this palate. YMMV.

Reactions: bnichols23

dquisenberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2016
dallas tx
If you are smoking something more subtle aka Virginia’s it takes awhile to discern all the flavors. Years ago when I tried Virginia all I hit was hot air.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
dquisenberry,

A mild straight Virginia like Capstan Blue has a ton of flavor once you know how to prepare the pipe. Get the draw so it is perfect. Smoke at a certain cadence, not allowing the pipe to heat up robbing you of flavors. The flavors are delicate but definitely identifiable once you are able to taste them. Retro haling is a part of being able to taste all that is there. Like everything new, it takes time to learn it all. Trust me, I fumbled along for a few years before I had a clue. Sites like this did not exist.

Also remember everyone has different taste buds. I have a sweet tooth and can taste sweetness when some cannot.I have an allergy to red Virginia tobacco. If there is too much in a blend I will get a burning sensation on my tongue as soon as the smoke hits it. I am talking a nasty burn like someone put a blow torch on my tongue. Some people have issues with Burley. We all have different alkalinity in our bodies so only you can taste what things are in a certain blend.

Packing the pipe and getting the humidity right is one of the toughest parts. I only smoke flakes and I like them with a little moisture in them. Some like them dry as a bone. I prefer the moisture as it brings out the best taste for me. If I smoke something dry,it burns fast and hot and looses flavors for me.

My way might now bee your way. I like flakes because for me they burn cooler and give more flavor. Ribbon cuts burn too quickly and too hot.

One thing you will hear that is pipe smoking dogma is pack looser than you think and make the tobacco dryer than you think.
I pack my pipe in 3 stages if it is not a flake. After the third fill I test the draw. I want some resistance before lighting up. Too loose a pack means a hot smoke. If I pack it too tight, I just run a pipe cleaner into the bowl to loosen it up. I would go online and read everything you can about folding and stuffing a flake. There videos and written articles I believe. Do your home work before you load the pipe. If you have any more questions just ask. Also if you can get a tin of Solani 633 that is a great Virginia/Perique even when fresh.

One last thing. If you are smoking a pipe and it tightens up on you grab a pipe cleaner and run it into your bowl which should loosen it up, you may have to do it a couple of times but don't give up.

The only pipe cleaners I use are BJ Long Tapered fluffy ones that come 100 to a packagww. I also use BJ Long Bristle Tapered that come 80 to a pack.

Reactions: jdb67 and jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.