PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
The economics of smoking a pipe is forever changing. Here in Australia it’s cost prohibitive if you’re smoking a lot of tobacco a day and this is all due to government intervention/tax. Here is a screen shot of my last order
View attachment 163985
As you can see it’s eye watering but I have made a conscious decision to smoke my pipe until I die or am physically incapable of doing so. Why??…………because I don’t just love smoking for the sake of it but because for me the smoking of a pipe is a meditative thing. When I smoke my pipe I think more clearly, I slow down, I watch, I plan and strategize and generally enter a different state of mind that seems unobtainable any other way. My best farming and money making decisions are made with a pipe clenched, whiskey held and great plumes of smoke swirling around me. So for me it’s a way to clear the mind in a world that seems to be gaining momentum towards more and more craziness. People don’t talk to one another in person anymore. It’s all driven now through a digital universe, people don’t stop to help someone in need they pull out their phone and record it for a digital platform for “likes”, personal approval from complete strangers!!
My pipe cuts through all this nonsense and transports me back in time to when the simple things mattered and it allows me to make really good decisions in a world where good decisions are becoming very hard to find.

So the economics of smoking a pipe for me aren’t just financial there is much greater cost if I stop.
Time to start growing your own?

Reactions: VDL_Piper

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Time to start growing your own?
ignore that; I see the Aus Gov seem to have everything sewn up quite nicely.

I did meet a man in Port Douglas, some years ago, who grew pineapples so that he could grow something in the middle of his property. He hoped that the pineapple plantation would mask his operation. It didn’t work, someone informed on him and he ended up with a lengthy prison sentence. When I met him he could get through a pouch of White Ox in fairly quick order - my God but White Ox is some strong tobacco, it used to give me hiccups and the feeling of impending doom. Do they still even make White Ox?

You would think, what with all the coastline that Australia has, that someone would be importing it onto the beaches somewhere? There’s a ready made market, just waiting for product you’d think?

I’m not suggesting anything illegal just hypothesising on potentials.

Nicolasylvain

Might Stick Around
Jun 18, 2022
France
The economics of smoking a pipe is forever changing. Here in Australia it’s cost prohibitive if you’re smoking a lot of tobacco a day and this is all due to government intervention/tax. Here is a screen shot of my last order
View attachment 163985
As you can see it’s eye watering but I have made a conscious decision to smoke my pipe until I die or am physically incapable of doing so. Why??…………because I don’t just love smoking for the sake of it but because for me the smoking of a pipe is a meditative thing. When I smoke my pipe I think more clearly, I slow down, I watch, I plan and strategize and generally enter a different state of mind that seems unobtainable any other way. My best farming and money making decisions are made with a pipe clenched, whiskey held and great plumes of smoke swirling around me. So for me it’s a way to clear the mind in a world that seems to be gaining momentum towards more and more craziness. People don’t talk to one another in person anymore. It’s all driven now through a digital universe, people don’t stop to help someone in need they pull out their phone and record it for a digital platform for “likes”, personal approval from complete strangers!!
My pipe cuts through all this nonsense and transports me back in time to when the simple things mattered and it allows me to make really good decisions in a world where good decisions are becoming very hard to find.

So the economics of smoking a pipe for me aren’t just financial there is much greater cost if I stop.

You should spend a few days in Indonesia. It costs only between 4 and 8 USD for 40 to 50 grams (easily available tobaccos for this price include Torben Dansk blends, Ashton Artisans Blend, Mac Baren HH blends, etc).