Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I literally listen to this song 10 times in a row. I love everything about it. 1. Lyrics 2. Santana lead guitar. 3. Michelle Branch's voice and cuteness.
Also, if you take the 4 mins to watch the video, notice that every musician, on every instrument and back up vocals all look like they are immensely enjoying every minute of it.
Thinking of starting a band again after 20 years of not being in one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UIojGDIBvI

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
For the musicians in the audience, here is what I think is a cool little subtle analysis.
One thing that is easy to pick up on is that Carlos Santana, as he is playing fill leads throughout the song, often will mimic the last melody lyric that Michelle Branch just sang - she sings a line and then he kind of copies it on guitar.
There is one little subtle spot where she turns the tables on him. I only picked this up after learning to sing the song and trying to perfectly copy her.
It is when the main lead guitar solo happens in the middle of the song. To notice what I am going to point out, you have to force yourself to listen more to her singing than him playing. I think most people naturally focus on what is up front, and at this point it is the lead guitar.
Just as Michelle finishes singing the line before the solo, the guitar solo starts over top of her, before she finishes the line and she holds out the note, then she sings a "woo hoo" that directly copies the notes Carlos is playing.
Go to the 2:14 mark, and start to listen as the build up to the solo comes.
"You guide me, divide me into one ... she holds it out the word "one", then sings "woo hoo" - those notes match the guitar. This is at the 2:25 - 2:26 mark.
If you get the lyrics and sing along, this is very subtle, and hard to pick up on, and most people, like if they were doing karaoke, would totally miss it.

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
Santana puts a lot of feeling in his guitar. I wish I

could play like that.
Go for it Kevin, It'll be a lot of fun. Plus a great

way to meet women.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Go for it Kevin, It'll be a lot of fun. Plus a great

way to meet women.
Dude. When I was in my late teens - early 20's in a band, each band member would bring home two girls every night. I don't think I could handle more than one at this point, and then I would be too tired at 5:00 am after getting home from the bar to do anything anyway. LOL!
Plus, I just found my perfect woman this past weekend.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
This tune has a great groove. I run hot and cold on Santana but he is one of the few musicians that you can immediately identify after just one note. I think his greatest contribution is bringing the Latin vibe to rock. With Chester Thompson, formerly with Tower of Power, on organ they can really move a tune along. 'Nuff said. thanks for posting.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
Sadly I have no musical talent, save for some wicked jazz sax(back in high school that is) my gift is working the faders, and making it all sound good upon release.

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Anyone heard of "beach music?" This was a sizeable hit on the eclectic Carolinas-Virginia beach music charts a while back. I've loved it since the day I heard it.

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
My musical talent consists of the ability to operate my radio and CD player. Always wanted to play a banjo, and of all things, bag pipes.

bowhatchie

Sep 27, 2010
Antipodsman.. sometimes saying nothing is more powerful than anything you could say! :P

flat4driven

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2009
Though I am not a fan of Santana, I completely appreciate his ridiculous skills on the guitar. I don't know how you guys feel about DMB, but this video really shows how passionate people can be about music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD9CrZODlNA

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
Man his voice just does -not- match up to vids does it, I mean sure they have to lip-synch otherwise making a video would literally be impossible, but usually the lip-synching works. I don't even think that that its that he does it bad, I think is the strength and clarity of his voice defy's the location the video puts him, because after somewhere around 3 minutes when the rest of the band has filled in entirely and his voice drops into the mix it seems to fit much better, after he comes back in at 3:25 or so though its right back to the problem up until about 4:00 when he quiets out again for the last line.
Anyway after that meaningless rambling -- I rather like the Dave Matthews Band, his lyrics are beautiful and his voice is very, very soothing.

flat4driven

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2009
Yeah I noticed that too. I would imagine it's one of those videos where they only have one shot because of the amount of people. If you notice at 1:01 carter (the drummer) messes up when he comes in. To me, it's completely understandable. Being a drummer myself, I know first hand that you will never perform a song the same way twice.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
Most people don't notice that, its like Itchy using Scratchy's ribs as a xylophone and being able to play a 15 note range on 8 ribs (do cats even have exactly 8 ribs? has always be my accompanying question)
By the way I didn't notice that, someone at a convention (in the show not a real convention) pointed it out during the episode Homer was on the Itchy and Scratchy show. -- Talking about the Simpsons here just in case one of you has been under a rock for 22 years :P

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have been a fan of Carlos since I was a hairy hippy way back. With this young lady singing I am even MORE of a fan now! Fantastic combination of talents!

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Quincy Delightt Jones, Jr cleaned up the Santana sound and sent him to stardom , before that he was unknown . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frcA6Hk7Mfo

Status
Not open for further replies.