PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
This is borderline sacrilege, this is my favourite Greek poet. I am not particularly literary , my parents are, although I have read some poetry in my time. Apparently poetry should talk to anyone, regardless of the intent of the poet. This poem always came to me whenever something good was going away.

When suddenly, at midnight, you hear
an invisible procession going by
with exquisite music, voices,
don’t mourn your luck that’s failing now,
work gone wrong, your plans
all proving deceptive—don’t mourn them uselessly.
As one long prepared, and graced with courage,
say goodbye to her, the Alexandria that is leaving.
Above all, don’t fool yourself, don’t say
it was a dream, your ears deceived you:
don’t degrade yourself with empty hopes like these.
As one long prepared, and graced with courage,
as is right for you who proved worthy of this kind of city,
go firmly to the window
and listen with deep emotion, but not
with the whining, the pleas of a coward;
listen—your final delectation—to the voices,
to the exquisite music of that strange procession,
and say goodbye to her, to the Alexandria you are losing.

But what does poetry have to do with the car below? This car is being discontinued in December 2023, and it's pretty certain that there won't ever be another like it. Nobody will make this again going forward. It's a last hurrah for true petrolheads, my kids won't ever get why this thing talks to me. My wife calls it "ridiculous and ugly".

This ludicrous monstrosity talks to anyone who's got motor oil in their veins instead of blood like me. It's brilliantly ridiculous, it probably needs new back tires every few months, and likely starts by burning baby panda fat. It probably doesn't go forward, it just turns the Earth backwards. All good. All good! I love American engineering, isn't always as sophisticated as European/Japanese, but it kicks ass like nobody else. For some reason American cars, old and new, are extremely popular in Switzerland so I see and hear these all the time. If I had money to burn I'd just get one.

1689414302502.png

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
If I had money to burn, I would get American car also. I love American cars. The way they drive is like nothing else. But I have had too much problems with American cars to go back to them. Honda isn't as fun as Chevy, or Dodge. But Honda doesn't break down every other week like my Olds did. Or need carburetor cleaner every 30 miles like my Buick did. I have heard American cars are better built now days. But, once bitten, twice shy?

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Beautiful poetry Karam. I love Greece, I love the cradle of wisdom and western culture. I agree with you. But the truth is I'd rather spend it on kentucky bourbon. Well jokes aside, we have some fantastic ford trucks here.

Reactions: Mortamyhr and karam

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
If I had money to burn, I would get American car also. I love American cars. The way they drive is like nothing else. But I have had too much problems with American cars to go back to them. Honda isn't as fun as Chevy, or Dodge. But Honda doesn't break down every other week like my Olds did. Or need carburetor cleaner every 30 miles like my Buick did. I have heard American cars are better built now days. But, once bitten, twice shy?
They are built much better than in the past. My ex still has the Suburban we got in 2001. It has over 500000 miles on the original motor and transmission with only routine maintenance. I have a 2010 Ford Fusion Sport with 210000 miles and 300000 is not out of the question. Routine maintenance only. I plan to drive it till it drops. We gave my step daughter my wifes 2008 Fusion with 240000 miles and it's still going strong. We replaced her Fusion with a 2013 V6 Accord because most manufacturers are not putting V6s in sedans. I refuse to drive these tiny 4 bangers with turbos and don't get me started on the crappy CVT transmissions.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
A question for us Detroiter lovers:

I just traveled a 250 mile round trip in 75 degree, perfect weather over typical American pool table flat roads in my 2012 Hemi 300S Chrysler. It was like I was on a sofa with the road running by.

Once I stabbed it up to almost a hundred because, just because I could. Otherwise it was an effortless seventy to eighty using the tip of a shoe to barely touch the loud petal. The steering was instinctual, without conscious effort. There was tomb like quiet.

My first 1966 Mustang 289 did exactly the same trick, not as quick, not nearly as good on curves, but on interstates it was the same. I had a friend years ago that owned a 1963 Pontiac Bonneville almost as good as my 300S.

My question is, what was the first year of Detroit iron, given good tune, a fresh example, that could run all day at 70-80 on good roads effortlessly?

A 1949 Ford?

Reactions: karam

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I grew up with American cars vastly predominating the market. By age five or so, I knew all the brands including long-gone ones like Desoto, Hudson, and Packard. I loved the U.S.-made Crosley, the first U.S. sub-compact pre-dating the VW in the U.S. by a decade.

I am still in shock to know that other than Dodge and Ford Mustang, no American sedans are made anymore.

All that said, when I went shopping for cars, I could never make a deal with a dealer. I bought new, but the dealers were either hostile, ignored me, or were half-hearted.

So of course I ended up buying a VW bug as my first car, then three Nissans, then a Subaru, and finally a Mazda. Every time, I started out trying to buy a Buick Skyhawk, a Chevy, a Mercury, and so on, with the same treatment. American dealerships worked hard and diligently to shed customers, so I took them at their word and bought other makes.

The Subaru dealer came out to the darkened lot as they closed to hand me several brochures. Sorry. My intentions were good. I have no idea what that was about, but it was cultural and intentional, and the success of foreign competition illustrates that I wasn't alone. The non-U.S. marque dealers were always welcoming and willing to deal.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I grew up with American cars vastly predominating the market. By age five or so, I knew all the brands including long-gone ones like Desoto, Hudson, and Packard. I loved the U.S.-made Crosley, the first U.S. sub-compact pre-dating the VW in the U.S. by a decade.

I am still in shock to know that other than Dodge and Ford Mustang, no American sedans are made anymore.

All that said, when I went shopping for cars, I could never make a deal with a dealer. I bought new, but the dealers were either hostile, ignored me, or were half-hearted.

So of course I ended up buying a VW bug as my first car, then three Nissans, then a Subaru, and finally a Mazda. Every time, I started out trying to buy a Buick Skyhawk, a Chevy, a Mercury, and so on, with the same treatment. American dealerships worked hard and diligently to shed customers, so I took them at their word and bought other makes.

The Subaru dealer came out to the darkened lot as they closed to hand me several brochures. Sorry. My intentions were good. I have no idea what that was about, but it was cultural and intentional, and the success of foreign competition illustrates that I wasn't alone. The non-U.S. marque dealers were always welcoming and willing to deal.

My Chrysler 300 and it’s stablemate Charger are the last 4,000 pound, 400 horsepower (gross), 4 door, $40,000 sedans that ever will be built.

The chassis dates to 2005 and was based on a Mercedes chassis from 1991.

Mustangs, Challengers, and Camaros are low slung pony cars.

I could buy a fake Rolls grille for my 300.:)

Mine gets 27 mpg without trying using alcohol free premium. It turns 13.8 second quarters in drive. The 392 cubic inch version is a second quicker at least.

These are the last true Detroters, the end of a seventy year waltz.

We know the last ones.

Which were the first?

Maybe the first Hemis?

IMG_4569.jpeg

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I live within a mile of Woodward Avenue north of Detroit (google “Woodward Dream Cruise”). While I always leave town on the Dream Cruise weekend to avoid that unholy $hit show, the cruising activity on Woodward starts early in the summer. I’ve noticed a clear difference between Challenger owners and Charger owners. Challenger guys seem to be loners whom I would avoid poking in the eye, but that I probably wouldn’t mind having a beer with. They sedately cruise, knowing they don’t have to prove anything to anyone. They are the old-school muscle car people. Charger drivers, on the other hand, move in packs on Woodward. Chasing each other, weaving through 4 lanes of traffic at 85 MPH and putting lives at risk at all times, all the while leaving slicks of Axe Body Spray in their wakes. I wouldn’t mind sharing a beer with them either, if sharing meant tossing one in their face. Woodward Avenue would be a better place if the Challenger drivers smacked the crap out of the Charger drivers once or twice for being jackasses.

*this applies only to what I’ve seen in my location. I cast no aspersions on Charger drivers generally

Last edited:

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I like my Charger. It let's me feel the road in ways Hondas just can't. And it has a back seat that's more than an afterthought. This will probably be my last American car though.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
The main problem with American cars is that many Americans don't feel they are reliable. When I was a teenager American cars ruled the roadways.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
This was my beauty up until last year. 2017 Scat Pack 392cc HEMI Challenger Shaker.

I loved this car. The Hellcats are something special, but there was just something about having 485hp with no supercharger. The power was on demand whereas the supercharged engines needed just the fraction of buildup to get going.

I sold it once we moved to Seattle for several reasons. Main one being gas prices (even though I got 22mpg overall and up to 30mpg on the highway), but the other reason was that it just wasn't as practical to own as it was in Florida. The hills and narrow streets just aren't conducive for a car like this and it was my daily driver.

But it was a hell of a lot of fun while I had it. Drove great (at least in a straight line; cornering is not this car's forte), it was comfortable as hell and it sounded amazing!

The water pump did blow out on me while doing 80mph on the interstate one time, and it was a PITA to replace it myself, but the dealership wanted $1600.00 to replace a $350.00 part.

The touchscreen also crapped out on me due to the Florida heat, but the dealership actually replaced that at a cheaper cost than me doing it myself.

IMG_1321[1].JPG

Reactions: karam and trudger

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
"I'd like to speak of this memory,
but it's so faded now -as though nothing's left-
because it was so long ago, in my adolescent years."
Cavafy, "Long Ago"

My father bought a used 1957 Chevy Bel Air for $250. He drove it for 4 years. After he passed, I drove it for another 3 years. The last year it was running on five cylinders. I sold it, as is, for $250. It helped pay for my college textbooks. Damn, I wish I had it now. What a great ride!

Reactions: karam

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
A question for us Detroiter lovers:

I just traveled a 250 mile round trip in 75 degree, perfect weather over typical American pool table flat roads in my 2012 Hemi 300S Chrysler. It was like I was on a sofa with the road running by.

Once I stabbed it up to almost a hundred because, just because I could. Otherwise it was an effortless seventy to eighty using the tip of a shoe to barely touch the loud petal. The steering was instinctual, without conscious effort. There was tomb like quiet.

My first 1966 Mustang 289 did exactly the same trick, not as quick, not nearly as good on curves, but on interstates it was the same. I had a friend years ago that owned a 1963 Pontiac Bonneville almost as good as my 300S.

My question is, what was the first year of Detroit iron, given good tune, a fresh example, that could run all day at 70-80 on good roads effortlessly?

A 1949 Ford?
1941 Buick Century with the Fireball 8 has dual carbs can do 0-60 in 12 sec. with a top speed of 101 mph.

• Love
Reactions: Briar Lee

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My buddy owned one (2016?). He has a number of very high HP classic Mopars, but said this one put a special smile on his face. I've driven a few track only race cars, some modern Z06 Corvettes, older Ferrari's, but nothing accelerates like his Hellcat. With all the aids turned off, it is simply viscous and makes your neck hurt, in a good way. He owned for about three years, and resold it for a pretty big profit (during Covid).

You are right, they'll likely never build an other ICE like that one. Modern muscle will likely be electric. It won't be the same.

• Love
Reactions: RookieGuy80