PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LimestoneCowboy

Might Stick Around
Sep 17, 2021
NV, USA
I like being able to inspect tobacco for mold. Jars for me.
If you see mold with the neked eye, it's too late - spores have already spread to the rest of your stash.

Mylar is unbreakable in earthquakes, readily fashioned into thermal blankets in ice ages and heat shields when the sun flares, and packs easier than jars.

Mylar for me.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
In my experience, pressing the product into cakes approximately one kilogram in weight, then wrapping tightly with a layer of plastic kitchen wrap, covered by a layer of mylar, covered by a more sturdy layer of burlap or ripstop tarp material works well. It can be secured with duck tape, which weather proofs the packaging to keep.the contents secured.

Seems to work well... thats what the smugglers had done with their stuff every time we busted them. Sometimes it would even float! YMMV

5bfd8754c957011a8f0df203.jpeg
seized-cocaine.jpg

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Yes they are. They hold 2-4 tins depending on tin style or, as you can see, 1 each 8 oz tin of SPC blends. They will also hold a 500 g box from GH&C.

The main reason I use 5 mil is because they are textured and can be vacuum sealed or just heat sealed in my food saver machine. Without the texturing you can't vacuum seal (unless you buy an expensive machine).

The 8x12 size seem to be the best choice for me because they hold a few tins without becoming too large for tote storage.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
This is a great thread. Thanks to all for posting their tips and observations. Can someone please post a link to their regular supplier of bags? I think I am ready to convert a percentage of my cellar to mylar.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
You can shop their site and pay through Amazon if you want:

Just picked some up, i like mylar but i still have that fear of mold so using the food saver on them makes me feel better, irrational fear or not it's still there. Worth it to open the bags i have of loose leaf and redo them vacuum then heat sealed.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Just curious and sure i could google it but that doesn’t generate discussion ?. When you use a clothing iron to seal Mylar what do you use between the bag and iron, small towel or something.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Man, I'm so tempted on making the switch and have been for some time now. Really just for my bulk so I don't have to store dozens of the big jars anymore more, I think they fit half a pound each.
But like Embers and others have said, I really prefer to be able to inspect my tobacco without having to open the mylar.
Tough decision, but for the time being I see myself sticking with jars. Although I do leave alot of my KBV stuff in mylar.

Reactions: jaytex1969

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Just curious and sure i could google it but that doesn’t generate discussion ?. When you use a clothing iron to seal Mylar what do you use between the bag and iron, small towel or something.
I don’t use anything between bag and iron. I just keep it moving a few passes on one side then the same on the other. Very obvious as it seals. I do have a flat plank that I use to place the bags on for ironing instead of an ironing board.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
....what do you use between the bag and iron?

In the video above, the guy shows just pressing the edge on an ironing board as if it were a shirt. No additional material above or below. Maybe there are different types requiring different treatment? I don't know.

He does also have a great solution for getting the vacuum function to work on smooth bags, so worth a watch.

1659205232791.png

Reactions: AJL67

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
One of the several reasons that I use a styling iron is that it simultaneously provides heat to both sides of the flap across a flat surface. Another is that the temperature can be precisely set. I get an optimum seal with zero issues, in the space of about 20 seconds, since I need to do a left side/right side press on the large wide bags.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
One of the several reasons that I use a styling iron is that it simultaneously provides heat to both sides of the flap across a flat surface. Another is that the temperature can be precisely set. I get an optimum seal with zero issues, in the space of about 20 seconds, since I need to do a left side/right side press on the large wide bags.
I figure I’ll just set it it to 11 and let it sit there until it bruns through the table, then the floor and into the apt below ala Tom and Jerry, your way is too easy.