PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
“This morning, like so many other mornings, I spent at least half an hour, over coffee, staring at online pictures of pipes. This does not make me an aspiring plumber, or someone with a fetish for u-bends or draining units. I’m talking about briar pipes, tobacco pipes: for though I know I should quit the habit, I’m one of the dwindling band of pipe-smokers in the world.”

Click here.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
We all are a dwindling band of pipe smokers.
If you say so, I'd say its going through a bit of a renaissance at the moment. Seeing a lot of guys in their 30's (including me) picking up the pipe in the last few years and manufacturers coming out with new blends and small batches all the time. Will millions more pick it up and we'll see a pipe boom like during its prime? Probably not but things seem more up then down. Just my opinion though!

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The early, recurring, and detailed mentions of how "bad" pipe smoking is are enough to make me wonder if it's actually a Trojan Horse sort of article, intended to create guilt, conflict, and so forth in the mind of anyone who reads it.

"Yeah, pipe smoking is great! Absolutely! But, well... if you REALLY look at it, it's not so great."

Translated: anyone who does this is an idiot

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
The early, recurring, and detailed mentions of how "bad" pipe smoking is are enough to make me wonder if it's actually a Trojan Horse sort of article, intended to create guilt, conflict, and so forth in the mind of anyone who reads it.

"Yeah, pipe smoking is great! Absolutely! But, well... if you REALLY look at it, it's not so great."

Translated: anyone who does this is an idiot
Yeah, there was less celebrating and a lot more shame than I expected when I clicked. I wondered how many of those "I know it's bad, I know it's nerdy, I've tried to quit, it's embarrassing" bits were from the author, or whether they were strongly suggested by the editor, lest they come across as anything but clearly anti-smoking. Sigh...

Last edited:
Reactions: macaroni and Browny
Status
Not open for further replies.