PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Sounds odd but let me explain. I have a few pipes that will gurgle after maybe ten minutes. I gently blow back through the stems to clear them and voila, dry the rest of the way, no need for a cleaner. Could this be from the warm smoke condensing in the still cool stem ? Grasping at straws here. Any ideas what's causing this or better yet how to fix it ? Not a major issue but I'd like to fix it if I can. I've already opened the airways on these pipes and it hasn't helped.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
What shape pipe? Old adage is that deep bents create lots of moisture. I have found that to be occasionally true, especially older pipes like Dunhills. More modern craftsmen have almost fully eliminated that issue with much better engineering.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
What kind of tobacco are you smoking when this happens?

Both VA's and English blends, depending on the pipe. I've dried them till crunchy and still get the single gurgle. The air here in Denver is very dry, so I don't think it's a humidity issue.
What shape pipe?

Half bents and even some straights.
The gurgle is just your pipe reminding you that a Sam Adams lager would go very well with your smoking.

Beer with a pipe? Philistine ! A nice bourbon will do just fine. :rofl:

jthomas04

Might Stick Around
Oct 15, 2013
Most likely condensation, which is hard to avoid. You could try opening the airway a hair. I've had some success with that in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.