The Third Swan Neck of the "Drifted Shank" Set of Three (an Apple this time)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The gentleman who collects these curved shank rarities told me that the term used back in The Day was "drifted shank". Meaning the shank looked like it had shifted or "drifted" away from the bowl. Was offset.

Makes perfect sense to me. :)

This one is stamped Barclay-Rex, same as #2, this time in a large apple shape.

In short, curves from stem to stern.

I see curves... CURVES EVERYWHERE, I SAY!!! 🤩

(Whatever happened to simple elegance?)

Anyway, like the others, this stummel was found without a stem, but couldn't be left to live out its next couple thousand years (or however long briar lasts) without one.

And here we are.

P1070120.jpg
P1070132.jpg
P1070121.jpg
P1070134.jpg
P1070135.jpg
P1070126.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I put "drifted shank" into Goggle's soych enjin for fun, and it came back with a fistfull of diamonds.

Longtime PipeWorld citizen, respected high-end carver, and overall megabrain Jack Howell wrote a meaty blog article on curved shank engineering a few years ago:

Reactions: jguss and BingBong

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I put "drifted shank" into Goggle's soych enjin for fun, and it came back with a fistfull of diamonds.

Longtime PipeWorld citizen, respected high-end carver, and overall megabrain Jack Howell wrote a meaty blog article on curved shank engineering a few years ago:

Great article!

Interesting foot note at the bottom:

Here’s the problem: drifted shanks tend to have a rough internal surface, because they are, necessarily, nibbled. There is not a clear path to the surface for the chips/dust, so the bit has to be withdrawn and reapplied over and over. The hole tends to be large, and the surface tends to be rough. That, again in my opinion, is a performance inhibitor all by itself. Then, when the pipe is completed and has been smoked enough for the airway to be caked and clogged beyond what a pipe cleaner can remove, well, then what? A pipe that has been drilled with a straight drill bit can be reamed with the same drill bit and we’re back to original condition. A drifted shank, not so much.

My drifted shank pipes went the way of eBay because, for all of their shaping possibilities, they didn’t smoke very well. Which is not to dispute anyone who loves drifted shanks, I’m just explaining why I do what I do. Which is, drill pipes using straight drill bits, which leave a nice, smooth finish and a nice, straight path for any future reaming that might be needed.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
I seem to recall that there was a Japanese pipe carver who developed a tool/bit that would make the draft hole w/o angles or graduated steps. I think there was a video on the utoob.
That's the sort of pipe I'd smoke religiously and one day I'd drop it or have some sort of casualty. Favorite pipes are dangerous. Kind of like why so many deadly car accidents happen within 25 miles of your residence.
Frequency increases the odds.
As usual, just an amazing presentation of a beautiful stummel and stem.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013

I can’t say enough good things about Jack as a musician, pipe carver, writer, and all-around great guy. I strongly recommend a deep dive into his many blog posts on an astounding variety of subjects. You will be by turns deeply absorbed, edified, and amused. What more could anyone ask?

Reactions: Toast

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Screen Shot 2024-05-09 at 2.45.39 PM.png

There actually is a solution, but it isn't practical for most smokers. Meaning it isn't a tool that could be kept in the corner of a drawer and reached for as needed.

But since "carbon clogging" takes a good while to build up to where it's a problem, sending a handful of Drifters every few years to somebody with the gadget wouldn't be a big deal, either:

Ah, the cost of chasing curvaceousness. (It can be a vexing business with things other than pipes)

Screen Shot 2024-05-09 at 3.00.22 PM.png