The (Un)Official PipesMagazine Secret Santa Thread 2022!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
No offense to anyone, but I personally wanted to gift someone, who is what we call one of the Regulars on this forum, the daily posters, family types.

@mikethompson Maybe next year we can have a list done this way, where we have a choice of who we want to gift from

You do not need Secret Santa to do this.
*gif removed*

I post this at my peril, but one of my other groups uses a free app called "Elfster" for managing Secret Santa lists. Might be a way to lighten the load next time around!

I considered doing something like this as well, but like Dan alludes to, not everyone can/wants to ship internationally which throws things off.
making sure certain gifts might reach the hands of those that would appreciate them,

Again, there is nothing stopping any member from reaching out and saying "I throughly enjoyed your posts this past year (insert name here). Might I bother you for your mailing address so that I may send something your way?" I've done it a few times, and you don't need a 100+ thread to do it even.

When I have recieved my matches in years past, I have always sent to who was sending to me. I realize now that was because there was only like 2 Canadian participants LOL. We have snowballed this thing into 100+ participants this year, and it simply was not practical for me to match up every member with a different member based on geography, preference, blood type, hair colour etc.

I hope that despite the 'predictable' nature of your matches, you all enjoy the process for what it is - a celebration of the comraderie and generosity of the members on this forum.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
...there is nothing stopping any member from reaching out and saying "I throughly enjoyed your posts this past year (insert name here). Might I bother you for your mailing address so that I may send something your way?" I've done it a few times, and you don't need a 100+ thread to do it even.
I have done that on several occasions as have other members. This is a wonderful community that we belong to!

Thank you Mike for all your hard work on The Secret Santa project this year. If you end up needing another elf to assist you next year, don't hesitate to ask.

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
And...Christmas arrived today, pour moi! Unexpected shipment from P&C and contained Kringle Flake, HH Pure Virginian, a bonus oz of a G&H Dark Birds Eye, and a Missouri Meerschaum. Wow, amazing. Feeling that Christmas spirit. Well, I am in gifts but not in photography. Anyway, thanks Chad, it is a perfect fit.Photo on 12-5-22 at 6.46 PM.jpg

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
Thank you @edger aka the incognito elf. This is so incredibly generous. I've always wanted to try Capstan, I just started really getting into ODF and I'm a burley boy, so this PS Cube Cut will be put to very good use. And two pipes! Insane. Thank you so much. What a day! Too bad it's raining outside or I'd pack both pipes and smoke 'em at the same time.

Attachments

• 20221206_193044.jpg
    20221206_193044.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 27

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
One of my favorite aspects of this reoccurring event is that it gives me the opportunity to purchase tobacco blends I normally wouldn't even consider.
The proprietor at my B&M looked at me like I had turds hanging from my nose when I asked for a blend with latakia.

Suppose there's still plenty of time left too. Doesn't look like my match has posted in this thread for a long time - surely he's A-ok.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
W
View attachment 185705

Got my package today and all I can say is Thank You!

Lots of blends I haven't tried before, plus matches from Blatter & Blatter (!) and even I fancy new cob. Plus some Aristocob Miracle Mud? Definitely have to look into that one.

👍
Well deserved, Santa!

As Colonel Flagg famously said in one of the funniest episodes of M*A*S*H*, “After tonight, every kid in America will wish he were me!”

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I decided to pop open the gift I got from Secret Santa.

Santa @username did good research. He determined that I have had a keen interest in Oriental blends lately and also that I have a growing love and respect for the stuff coming out of Germany these days.

I can't wait to dive into these two tins from HU Tobacco, Sorraya and Dockworker! I don't think I've had either.

1670374547961.png

Things I learned while researching Mike for his gift. In one thread, he discloses that he delivers automotive parts and, in another thread, he lists anything related to auto repair and upkeep as a primary deficiency! rotf

So, help him unload the truck, but for Pete's sake, keep him away from the wrenches!!

You are not alone. I once tried to sell home security systems and I don't even lock my door. Dismal failure!

Thanks again, Mike.

For your holiday enjoyment, here is a pic of Mrs. jaytex1969 with a giant candy cane coming out of her ear!

1670374881579.png

1670375003276.png

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Thank you @edger aka the incognito elf. This is so incredibly generous. I've always wanted to try Capstan, I just started really getting into ODF and I'm a burley boy, so this PS Cube Cut will be put to very good use. And two pipes! Insane. Thank you so much. What a day! Too bad it's raining outside or I'd pack both pipes and smoke 'em at the same time.
You are so welcome! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
I really like that Canadian. Excellent gifts!

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Honestly the reason i got into the SS was to gift something special ("to me") to somebody else that would find it just as special. Weather the person just joined the forum for SS and had a sponser or the dang guy running the thing, i would not have changed a damn thing about my gift. I mean you cant honestly belive with over 100 participants you would get the match you signed up for in the first place, the odds are slim. This is my first SS on this forum, but i signed up knowing i wanted to give to "anybody" weather they appreciate it is a none issue, if its tobacco or tobacco related im sure whatever you gifted will be enjoyed. Weather the guy/gal has been smoking for 50 years + or just started yesterday and that my friend is the holiday spirit. Just send whatever you got to whomever it is you want to gift too, i mean no harm in gifting more. T'is the season of giving aint it.
My wording was bad, no I didn’t mean acquaintances, I meant, making sure certain gifts might reach the hands of those that would appreciate them, because we see them here as regular members, sharing their interests as Pipe Enthusiasts. So then we can send out special gifts this way, at this time of year. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.