3 Fresh Becker Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
As I sit smoking this delicious bit of Esoterica Dorchester that I acquired from a friend a few years ago, I began to ponder esoterically…which is often a dangerous thing.

See I’m smoking this in an old favorite Peterson Sterling Silver ? shape billiard that isn’t likely worth much more than 50$ in the real world. However, in my world this pipe smoked nearly everything it holds with effortless brilliance. I’ve owned 500$ Dunhill & high end Italian Artisan pieces, but this pipe has outlasted most of them and provided ,on average, a far superior experience.

So my question for you is what is more valuable…

a) a pipe you spent $500 or more for that you cradle and hardly smoke?

OR

b) a beater pipe that makes you reach for over & over again?

Thanks for your kind attention & a very Merry Christmas ? & Happy Holidays to you all. ☕️??

Oh, and Happy Birthday ??? to our own beloved @cosmicfolklore .
37DA4C7C-17A5-4ACF-99F4-D97299CB2AEA.jpeg

To me, a great pipe isn't about money. It's about pipe cleaners:

1. Will my pipe pass a pipe cleaner when it's assembled?
2. Do I need to use a pipe cleaner to sop up combustion moisture when smoking it?

If the answer is yes to number 1 and no to number 2 then it's a keeper.

If it fails number 1 or number 2, then it's number 2 :poop: and I get rid of it. puffy

As I sit smoking this delicious bit of Esoterica Dorchester that I acquired from a fiend a few years ago, I began to ponder esoterically…which is often a dangerous thing.

See I’m smoking this in an old favorite Peterson Sterling Silver ? shape billiard that isn’t likely worth much more than 50$ in the real world. However, in my world this pipe smoked nearly everything it holds with effortless brilliance. I’ve owned 500$ Dunhill & high end Italian Artisan pieces, but this pipe has outlasted most of them and provided ,on average, a far superior experience.

So my question for you is what is more valuable…

a) a pipe you spent $500 or more for that you cradle and hardly smoke?

OR

b) a beater pipe that makes you reach for over & over again?

Thanks for your kind attention & a very Merry Christmas ? & Happy Holidays to you all. ☕️??

Oh, and Happy Birthday ??? to our own beloved @cosmicfolklore .
View attachment 114997
That is a sharp looking Pete!
And, thank you.

I think that for one to stumble upon a $500 Dunhill or a sweet looking Pete that smokes like a champ, I’d probably be making two different searches. So, apples and oranges. But, I’d most likely have no clue on the value of a “vintage” Pete. You want $100 or $200…. I might do some research, but maybe not. Now, a Pete aficianado, probably wouldn’t. A pipe restorer, a “flipper” nope.
But, I shop with different intentions in mind at the time. There are probably more like me. But, by asking for more, probably narrows the net being cast.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
B for sure but I'm a lustful man, always looking at another new pipe while I have a loving, plain jane, virtually monetarily worthless pipe that performs wonderfully, sitting around waiting for some love and attention. I'm disgusting and admit it but doubt there's much hope I'll change.

Lianza

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2021
Wilberforce, Ontario
I have had a similar experience.

I’m still very new to pipe smoking (3 years) but I have some cheaper pipes (50$ range) that are in my weekly rotation.

I have a Brigham 1 dot, straight apple, that just might be my favourite pipe right now. It’s a fantastic smoker.

I also have a KS Savinelli in my rotation. It’s my most expensive pipe (around 150$) but I swear the Brigham smokes just as well if not better.

I much prefer a good smoker than something expensive.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
The phrase "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" comes to mind. For some, the pipe is a work of art to be collected. For others, the pipe is an object of utility meant for one glorious purpose.

Myself, I don't think a pipe is worth anything if it's not used. Whether it be a $500 artisan or a $5 basket pipe is irrelevant to me. YMMV.

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
I'd have to say B without any hesitation. I haven't paid more than $50 for a pipe so far. I may i the future though. One of the best smokers I have is a no name "Real Briar Club" pipe that has a lot of fills. I doubt I'll ever spend more than $150 on a pipe, and my wife would say I won't be allowed to even spend that! I see a pipe as a tool to be used. If it doesn't perform its function the way it should its just a paperweight.