PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I love A/24 movies though I think a lot of people who aren't really into their films might think A/24 just do Horror and Weird/Wacky they can really do Drama great too though there is always a bit of arthouse going on. The Whale is no exception, adapted from a play and starring Brendan Fraser ( an actor I never took seriously before now ) it is a real gem of a movie. One of my favorite "existential crisis" movies ever is Synecdoche New York starring Philip Seymour Hoffman written and directed by Charlie Kaufman, The Whale, though not nearly as far out and touching does give off some of the same vibes and has one of my favorite actresses from Synechdoche NY Samantha Horton. Watching this movie one gets some of the same feeling as reading one of Herman Hesse's novellas. If you want to keep that feeling of mixed nostalgia and dread going A/24's The Florida Project is another dark but ultimately fulfilling Drama. So many movies like so much music today are just mass-produced piles of cliche without any real creativity let alone craft, if you want to see a film and actually be moved any of the above-mentioned are modern benchmarks.

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
I may have to watch it out of curiosity.
It gets great reviews and I just can't imagine how a movie about a fat guy dealing with difficulties of being a "whale" can be much of a pleasant couple of hours.

Reactions: Streeper541

ADKPiper

Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
I did find Fat Bastard entertaining.

fat-bastard-funny-reface-3nejbmtirry77pza.gif

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I love A/24 movies though I think a lot of people who aren't really into their films might think A/24 just do Horror and Weird/Wacky they can really do Drama great too though there is always a bit of arthouse going on. The Whale is no exception, adapted from a play and starring Brendan Fraser ( an actor I never took seriously before now ) it is a real gem of a movie. One of my favorite "existential crisis" movies ever is Synecdoche New York starring Philip Seymour Hoffman written and directed by Charlie Kaufman, The Whale, though not nearly as far out and touching does give off some of the same vibes and has one of my favorite actresses from Synechdoche NY Samantha Horton. Watching this movie one gets some of the same feeling as reading one of Herman Hesse's novellas. If you want to keep that feeling of mixed nostalgia and dread going A/24's The Florida Project is another dark but ultimately fulfilling Drama. So many movies like so much music today are just mass-produced piles of cliche without any real creativity let alone craft, if you want to see a film and actually be moved any of the above-mentioned are modern benchmarks.
I loved The Florida Project but it's a kind of film that I'm particular to that is NOT like a Kaufman film. I like it for reasons I do not like Kaufman. Florida Is one of those "in-time" studies about people/life. There are lots of films like this even going back to classics. I'm a big fan of Eric Rohmer who made films in the style of ontological realism. It sounds fancy but it's just really simplicity of story and camera and an attention to naturalism. Kaufman tries to dazzle. I don't like the results much personally. Florida project is trying to be as natural as possible. It's not a film that is self-aware or going for the cool kids and there are no knowing winks. I don't know if I'd like The Whale. It's interesting that the critics didn't love it while Hollywood sort of did, with a caveat.