SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

It looks to me as if one or two things have happened.
I believe it was Ryan Alden who posted here about his father using a pipecleaner so aggressively that he bored a hole out the front of the bowl.
Or, it looks as if someone was trying widen the draft and just pushed the bit out through the bowl and beyond. This is the reason one should never ream with a drill, just use an unattached drill bit, maybe in a hand vise, but never in a drill.

Briarcutter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
It looks to me as if one or two things have happened.
I believe it was Ryan Alden who posted here about his father using a pipecleaner so aggressively that he bored a hole out the front of the bowl.
Or, it looks as if someone was trying widen the draft and just pushed the bit out through the bowl and beyond. This is the reason one should never ream with a drill, just use an unattached drill bit, maybe in a hand vise, but never in a drill.
I agree! Pipe cleaners will definitely bore a hole! A drill bit in a T-handle adjustable tap wrence works well. I hope we find out the nature of this mishap.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
It’s a shame that hole is there. A one star Pura grade Brebbia is in the upper tier of production. The hole devalues the pipe immensely with regard to condition and monetary worth as a collectible. You may be able to patch it and make it smokable. It depends on if you wish to keep it and smoke it. In this condition, its appeal to a collector would likely be diminished significantly. I collect Brebbia pipes and this would be pass for me in this shape or if repaired. If you think you might just enjoy smoking it, you’ll need to decide what you’re looking to invest to fix it.

I wonder if someone tried to widen the airway and drilled too far.
I actually wanted to buy this pipe for you when i saw it for sale locally a month or so ago, but the hole also put me off.

• Love
Reactions: TheIronMonkey

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Stevie- You still with us?
If you've not smoked the pipe and wonder how it will do, cover the hole with tape and run a half dozen bowls through. Then decide for a quick and dirty fix, or a pro job—or sadly as some already suggested—the trash bin.

We are rooting for you and the pipe!

Stevie K

Lurker
Mar 6, 2024
Hey everyone, thanks so much for all your advice. You guys really know your stuff. There's no way I can bring myself to throwing this pipe away, it's to lovely. I'm gonna have a crack at repairing it myself as I'm fairly hand and will post results when done. I'm actually an online reseller and don't smoke but I love pipes and have bought and sold many in my time. Have been thinking about adding a couple of puffs to my whiskey so watch this space. Thanks again everyone.

• Love
Reactions: Ahi Ka

Stevie K

Lurker
Mar 6, 2024
I actually wanted to buy this pipe for you when i saw it for sale locally a month or so ago, but the hole also put me off.
Yeah it's a real shame , I bought it to resell and the hole wasn't mentioned. I would be willing to sell it to you for what it cost me, which was $30, otherwise I will have a go at repairing it.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Yeah it's a real shame , I bought it to resell and the hole wasn't mentioned. I would be willing to sell it to you for what it cost me, which was $30, otherwise I will have a go at repairing it.
I appreciate the offer mate, but you should have a go at fixing it and then light her up. Drop me a PM if you need a few blend samples. 🤙🏼

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Just an idea but ... cut a circular piece of briar with a spike sticking up ... insert spike in hole, glue it and turn it into a cutty "style" pipe ... I believe you can buy briar blocks online... others here will know. That will hide the repair.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I still think its a perfect place for ornamentation to cover a repair. Im just not sure what that ornamentation would be. I think it would be a problem to try to hide it. Make it work for you. Maybe a shelac covered flag of Italy....or something. The sky is the limit...well, actually your shop skills are in this case.

Reactions: jpmcwjr