PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
Evening all. I have written this post and deleted a few times because it never sounded right. My apologies if this has been discussed, but I cant find a darn thing online outside of the Better Business Bureau when it comes to this. Trust me, I tried phrasing it several ways and it always leads me back here to people talking about early to mid 1900's era BBBs.

So.... just to keep it short and simple without all the paragraphs I have written prior, what is the general consensus on new branded BBB pipes?

To me, they look like what a Peterson or Neerup would cost or even a Rattray pipe for massed produced.

I know the community is constantly after their really old pipes, but has anyone gotten a new one that cant speak of the quality?

The main reason I ask is my wife saw me checking out a sponsor site listed here and said, "Well, you havent really asked for anything that YOU want as a gift and I would buy that for Christmas."

BUT - I tend to stay in my lane on pipes I know are typically worth the price and what I like, but this would be completely new for me, and I have no issue with it. I am just curious if I am paying for just the name or if the craftmanship is on par with other pipes in the same $200 range.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
BBB is part of the Cadogan group that also owns comoys,loewes and other names.
like all of them they are not a patch on the older ones .

Reactions: jpberg

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I have several BBB estates that smoke fine. I don’t have any experience with the new. The BBB pipes I own are from the 60’s or later. A good site sponsor is Blue Room Briars. Fun to visit daily to see what “New Estates” they’ve added. I’ve purchased a dozen pipes from them.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
BBB stands for Britian's Best Briar.

I know, but when I searched online, there is almost 0 information from anyone on new make BBB pipes, and if you do not type in Tobacco pipes, 9 out of 10 links takes you to Better Business Bureau sites for plumbers and most of the write ups only really go up to the 60s as far as the history of the brand.

Ive read all about the older make ones, but there were some really nice looking ones on Al Pascia that are new, and if my research is correct, are now Danish made, but I cannot find anything on here or on other forums about how they smoke.

Guess I could be the Guinea Pig and get one and review it.

I have several BBB estates that smoke fine. I don’t have any experience with the new. The BBB pipes I own are from the 60’s or later. A good site sponsor is Blue Room Briars. Fun to visit daily to see what “New Estates” they’ve added. I’ve purchased a dozen pipes from them.

I will just admit, I am one of those weirdos that cannot bring myself to buy used pipes. I can appreciate the history and all the cool ones people find and repair or snag for really good prices that have a lot of history behind them, but its just not for me.

I think it just has to do with being burned in the past from buying other used items to try and save money only to regret it later. (Cars, Appliances, and so on - I know its not the same but its burned in my memory :LOL: )

Reactions: kcghost

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I understand wanting new. The benefit of estate pipes is their value to quality ratio. I believe the best pipes were those made decades ago and the bang for the buck is in the many to be found. — For example, I don’t own a single Italian made Stanwell. All of mine were produced in the old factory in Denmark. Beautiful pipes, every one of them.

Here’s a BBB estate that I acquired not long ago:
278C2AC5-CC30-47D1-8110-9EF43DDDD726.jpeg
BBB CLASSIC 620 BILLIARD ESTATE

1C0C595B-4901-493D-9F6E-A4904806449A.jpeg

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
pipephil.eu has this tidbit on BBB pipes:
BBB: " Best British Briar" is now a brand of the Cadogan Company (Oppenheimer group). American rights to use the brand name were sold to Wally Frank in 1980.
Founder of the brand in 1847: Louis Blumfeld. The oldest pipe brand name in the UK has been registered in 1876 (Blumfeld Best Briar)
Grading (ascendant): Own Make, Bold Grain, Best Make, Rare Grain

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
I picked up a 335 apple not long ago & I like the way it smokes, esp flakes. Not sure of the age or how to tell actually. The seller’s description was “Early BBB Own Make”. I got it for about $30(US) so I’m guessing it’s either a newer one or I just got lucky. Anyone have any info or how to date them?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Guess I could be the Guinea Pig and get one and review it.

I will just admit, I am one of those weirdos that cannot bring myself to buy used pipes. I can appreciate the history and all the cool ones people find and repair or snag for really good prices that have a lot of history behind them, but its just not for me.
Not trying to sell you on the idea of estate pipes.
And NO, I know nothing of the new BBBs, as all of mine are centenarians.

I get that there are more than a few who dislike the idea of previously smoked pipes

Have a look at “William’s Estate Briar Pipes” in the “New Pipes - unsmoked”
section.
He has NOS (new old stock)
BBBs, Stanwells and Savinellis listed at low prices.

I have bought a lot of pipes from William over the years.
An honest dealer, if somewhat impatient,

Poor photos (well actually photo, as he has only one photo per item).
He will send more if you request.

Very prompt and reasonable shipping from Denmark.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
That pipe is gorgeous! Many happy smokes, grimpiper!
Lovely pipe.
Something special about spigots with silver

I have a Cardogan era Loewe spigot pot.
I love it

Enjoy your pipe

Thank you both. It is a gorgeous pipe and made it from Italy to my door in the US in 3 days which was insane.

It’s extremely light so is a good clencher and I’m loving the finish and overall build so far.

As good as an older Gen BBB? Probably not, but I would say it’s better pipe for the money than a Peterson or Rattray’s factory pipe of the same price.

Reactions: Grangerous

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
That’s a great looking pipe!

Good as an old BBB? I don’t know why it wouldn’t be. I’m not up on current production of BBB, but I have seen some for sale in recent years, and they look pretty good to me
That’s a great looking pipe!

Good as an old BBB? I don’t know why it wouldn’t be. I’m not up on current production of BBB, but I have seen some for sale in recent years, and they look pretty good to me.
I have several old Loewe’s (oldest 1897)
and I’d say that my Cadogan era silver spigot pot (silver work by Les Wood) smokes 682FB943-6F93-4112-B4FA-087D16FCFD5E.jpegevery bit as well.

Last edited:

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I decided to just go for it and will post my thoughts if there is anything noteworthy positive or negative.

View attachment 188791
View attachment 188792
View attachment 188793View attachment 188794
Where did you order this from? I haven't seen any new BBB pipes for sale on the sites I regularly visit.

Also, here's a long article from Reborn Pipes about BBB's history:

Reactions: Grangerous

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
Where did you order this from? I haven't seen any new BBB pipes for sale on the sites I regularly visit.

Also, here's a long article from Reborn Pipes about BBB's history:

One of the site approved sponsors.