PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I use a mixture of saline water and two sprays of Nasacort or Flonase. I don't do this to clean up my mouth after pipe smoking but rather because of the rhinoplasty operation I had.

Reactions: OzPiper

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Like Embers I don't find pipe smoking irritating. I used to but then I learned to dry the tobacco and to sip instead of puffing. From my experience the irritation comes from heat and heat comes from smoking too hard or having more moisture in a blend. Generally it doesn't seem to matter if I smoke a lot or a little the pipe doesn't bother me.

MichaelMP5

Lurker
Dec 20, 2023
I also use a water flosser. I also try to brush shortly after. I also think drinking a beverage is helpful, I prefer either coffee or Pu-Erh tea.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
OK. I opened up the door so I have nobody else to blame but myself. How do I shut down this thread ?
Just go with it!

I’m with @sablebrush52 and the Water Pik notion, especially after finally getting a couple crowns after a nine month ordeal (nothing to do with pipes, but entirely preventable). Just because one has always had great teeth is no excuse for not arranging a new dentist when your previous one retires, lol, as my wife reminds me.

Reactions: sablebrush52
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
OK. I opened up the door so I have nobody else to blame but myself. How do I shut down this thread ?
Ask @Winnipeger for tips. ;)

As for the topic of the thread, I brush my mouth well at least once a day and rinse/gargle with mouthwash, occasionally Biotene. Never hurts to take a day off from tobacco now and then to let the body clean some of it out of the system, too.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
One of the most important aspects is proper finger nail maintenance. Let's face it, smoking causes boogers and you need to have properly trimmed nails to really get in there and dig deep without cutting the inner membrane. Since I came in 3rd in the Illinois Deep Dig Nose Picking championship a few years ago, nail maintenance is naturally a part of my routine. Working on your finger dexterity can really help too, especially if you want to go in up to the knuckle. Oh yeah, and wash your hands. We don't want people to think we're boogery savages.