PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Tobacco-Taco

Lurker
Feb 25, 2021
Sweden
Title edited. Rule 9, please read! -jpm

Hello!

So I have this blend called ''Liberty'' by Dan Tobacco which features an extremely pungent orange-like casing that completely ruins the blend for me. I've tried adding some Sutliff Pumpkin Spice and even some crushed up cigarettes, but the casing still remains as strong as ever, with a quite dark yet subtle tobacco taste. I just bought a tin of Peterson's ''Connoisseur's Choice'' and I want to try it out rather quickly, and I'm not in the mood for buying another batch of Kilner jars, so I've been thinking of just dumping the Liberty tobacco. Is this something normal to do? Clearly nothing I've done to improve it has worked, and right now it's just wasting space.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I have sent a package or two to donate to military when I had a bunch of different things I was getting rid of. Other than that, I’ll toss the one offs in the trash.

I run the jars through the dishwasher but toss the lid and replace with a new one. I have never been able to remove the prior blend aroma from the lids.

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
All opened latakia blends that I don't like all go in a big jar. Sequestered for a decades-long slumber until something arises. I won't be opening any latakia blends for many, many years.

For non - latakia blends, especially those that contain a topping I don't like, I add some moisture, jar them up, and put them in the trunk of my car where they heat-ferment. I've had fantastic luck getting rid of slight off-tastes or casings that way, also while speeding up the aging/fermentation process, in a way.

If the above doesn't work, I let the blend dry out until the topping is gone, then later rehydrate and Re-ferment/age.

This has worked for me, not to say it will work for everyone else. There was a time period where my tastes rapidly ping-ponged from one thing to another. I'm pretty set now in terms of what I like and what I don't - It's been a long time since I opened a tin or tried a blend that I didn't like.

Edit to add: Some blends dried out can make excellent kindling on top for lighting, or even form the base of a bowl.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
28qlck5hkzn41.jpg

pip01

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 3, 2018
NJ
Compost it. No sense in keeping something that awful. I have to dump blends from time to time.... but not too often.

Reactions: jpmcwjr