PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
What good will that do? They stopped selling them 40 odd years ago!

My old man used to buy them from a tobacconist in Llandrindod Wells, 6 at a time! This was in the 60's & they cost literally next to nothing! A clay today with a nickel ferrule and vulcanite stem, would set you back considerably more, if you can find one!
I know that, I picked 4 Peterson Clays from a boot sell for £4.00 last year, I'm a Peterson collector, what a buy ? so they are still findable, I have many in my collection that found over 50 years of collecting Petersons, my second cousin worked for KP and she remembered helping making them in WW2 and my first Clay from KP came from her, they are still available but rare.

Reactions: Choatecav

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I know that, I picked 4 Peterson Clays from a boot sell for £4.00 last year, I'm a Peterson collector, what a buy ? so they are still findable, I have many in my collection that found over 50 years of collecting Petersons, my second cousin worked for KP and she remembered helping making them in WW2 and my first Clay from KP came from her, they are still available but rare.
@tobakenist I never knew Peterson made clay pipes; one of the Redcoats at Avoncroft Festival of Living History shared his tin of Peterson Connoisseur's Choice with this fellow clay pipe smoking Redcoat. A good smoke in the King's Clay; the Clay King will have to get a tin of it!

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
Some great comments on this thread. I have learned a ton about clay pipes that I didn't know before.
Someone said earlier that you clean clays by placing them in a fire. Does that mean that you just lay the entire pipe in the coals of a fire to burn out the impurities? Seems a bit drastic. Of course, I know you could not place the vulcanite stem in the fire should it have one.

Fuelman

Lurker
Apr 20, 2024
Indiana
@Fuelman I've noticed a cooler smoke with a long stem clay pipe; I think a long stem is much better for lighting with an ember from the blacksmith's forge:)
You would want to have a long stem with an ember that close to your face. We have an old French fort here in Indiana, where people come from all over to reenact that time period. Wonderful time.

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
Some great comments on this thread. I have learned a ton about clay pipes that I didn't know before.
Someone said earlier that you clean clays by placing them in a fire. Does that mean that you just lay the entire pipe in the coals of a fire to burn out the impurities? Seems a bit drastic. Of course, I know you could not place the vulcanite stem in the fire should it have one.
From what I understand, that's exactly what you do. Just lay the pipe on some hot coals and let all the tar burn off. Once cool, pack it back up and start smoking again.

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
You are a step ahead of me. I have an unused short old clay pipe I bought off eBay for about twenty bucks. I haven’t smoked it yet. All I hear about the purity and dryness of the smoke made me curious.

I think two things that dissuade me from using it are the sticky lip and notched tooth. If I need both hands to do something while I’m smoking, I like to be able to clench or hang the pipe.

I have seen a nice looking old porcelain pipe online and I didn’t know they also impart no flavour. They sound easier to clean than having a small inferno on hand. @OzPiper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I have seen a nice looking old porcelain pipe online and I didn’t know they also impart no flavour. They sound easier to clean than having a small inferno on hand. @OzPiper
I have not broken in my Franken-clay yet (less than 5 smokes so far) and it imparts a discernible clay-ey taste to the smokes

On the other hand my porcelain pipe is very neutral.
And getting the walls back to bare porcelain is easy - no cake and no ghosts

Porcelain pipes come up quite frequently on EBay
PM me if you’re interested in a Royal Copenhagen one.
The Danish Pipe Shop has a few listed in their estates section.

I can put you onto a couple of other sites but don’t wish to do so here, as they are not Forums sponsors

Reactions: BrightDarkEyes

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
I have not broken in my Franken-clay yet (less than 5 smokes so far) and it imparts a discernible clay-ey taste to the smokes

On the other hand my porcelain pipe is very neutral.
And getting the walls back to bare porcelain is easy - no cake and no ghosts

Porcelain pipes come up quite frequently on EBay
PM me if you’re interested in a Royal Copenhagen one.
The Danish Pipe Shop has a few listed in their estates section.

I can put you onto a couple of other sites but don’t wish to do so here, as they are not Forums sponsors
There is one in particular I had my eye on. I don’t know if I’ll get it though since it might just sit around like my clay…

Reactions: The Clay King

Roach1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 25, 2023
Germany
I have a long stem clay that my wife presented me many years ago. I belived i smoked it twice and has been in the cabinet since. I also have a half box of tadting clans purchased from Danpipe. Maybe I should try a clay again.