Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
I have a Q that is really just a curiosity. And I know this query touches a bit on clenchers vs lippers, and particularly not applying well to you exclusive clenchers. My apologies. Bite me. 😬

When you smoke, do you draw in front of your teeth, letting the smoke hit your pearly…uh…ecrus? Or do you insert the stem past you teeth & let the smoke hit your tongue directly (or your hard palate for you P-lip pipers)?

Personally, I’m a complicated mixture. I clench on occasion as circumstance dictates, though it’s not my preferred practice as I become a drooling, sloppy mess. Then my pipe begins objecting by gurgling it’s displeasure, & I’ll not be reprimanded by both a pipe & a wife. A man has his limits. Plus, I much prefer the feel of a pipe in my hand. I’m a fidgeter, & a pipe is a perfect fidget.

So most often, I do a combination of lip with a very slight bite just to feel the stem between my teeth. Thus, usually, the smoke is delivered directly onto my tongue. However, I love the taste & experience of keeping the stem in front of my teeth & drawing first across my teeth. But I take my dental hygiene seriously, so it’s rare that I smoke an entire bowl across the teeth.

1672503345647.jpeg

Just curious as to you thoughts & practice on the matter.

Happy new year.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Hand shakes are a perfect analogy. Firm, but not overly aggressive. Limp or soft leave the recipient confused and disappointed.

Seriously, men who can not clench and talk at the same time come across as a bit inept. When the pipe comes out of the mouth so one can talk, in my mind, it is to make a point where the body language of holding the pipe punctuates what is being said. Not being able to smoke and talk at the same time seems like a developmentAl step was missed along the way. Yes, it is an over generalization. So what!😀

Sinzalot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2022
Wales
I clench beyond my pearly whites. Not sure if I could lip-only grip the pipe, i'd probably look like a slobbering bloodhound if I did.
I only clench on the right side of my mouth, I did try the left but my jaw freaks out and starts bouncing around emptying said pipe all over my face and lap (a great look btw).
Happy clenching or lipping ;)

TheWhale13

Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
I think he means that someone who does not clench might hold the pipe in a hand and let the mouthpiece rest pursed on their lips or with their lips just wrapped around the button. That is why the dctune said that this does not apply to clenchers, since it is difficult to clench a pipe without using teeth. Does this clarify anything? At least this is what I think that the poster means, and it is a valid question considering dental health/appearance.

Happy new years from Sweden!

Reactions: macaroni and dctune

dctune

I think he means that someone who does not clench might hold the pipe in a hand and let the mouthpiece rest pursed on their lips or with their lips just wrapped around the button. That is why the dctune said that this does not apply to clenchers, since it is difficult to clench a pipe without using teeth. Does this clarify anything? At least this is what I think that the poster means, and it is a valid question considering dental health/appearance.

Happy new years from Sweden!
Yes, this is it. I probably just wasn’t very clear. But in short, the question revolves around whether you let the smoke initially hit your teeth, or whether you always bypass the teeth and let it initially hit you tongue. If you clench, I assume the smoke always hits your tongue with every draw as clenching requires the stem be situated between the teeth, and thus the hole situated behind them.

Reactions: macaroni

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I NEVER clench my clay pipes; I don't want to get pipe notches...
Seems common in skulls from the 'clay pipe' era...
I'll probably confuse future historians as my flat's furnished like a medieval Great Hall and is built on land formerly belonging to a medieval manor house:)
There's a new care home here in Chesterfield built on the site of a former Drill Hall and they've re-used the original frontage / date stone...

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I usually clench in my molars so the smoke goes into the back of my mouth/tongue. If the pipe has an acrylic stem I might let the button hang against the back of my front teeth at times but still it’s behind my teeth.