PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Hobbs

Lurker
Jan 12, 2022
Central New York State
I've been smoking pipe tobaccos for the last 2 years. I mainly smoke during the day and usually have no issues or need of re-lights. I use a Country Gentleman Cobbs with a few different tobaccos.
The problem I'm running into is that I recently started smoking my pipe in the evening outdoors. I did this in the summer and now the Fall. But for the life of me I cannot keep the pipe lit... it is constantly going out with approximately 10 re-lights.
During the day outside, no issues at all, just at night. The tobacco is the same during the day and evening so dont feel its the tobacco. My load technique is also the same both times. I just cannot figure out why the difficulty in the evening?
Night air? Dampness? No breeze/wind?
I will say that there is hardly and breeze in the evening but not sure if that's the reason.
Any suggestions?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
Provided the pipe is prepared the same, and it sounds like it is, you are the variable. Difference in attention span, smoking cadence, preoccupation with things might be making the difference. You may not even realize it. Just something to think about.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've been smoking pipe tobaccos for the last 2 years. I mainly smoke during the day and usually have no issues or need of re-lights. I use a Country Gentleman Cobbs with a few different tobaccos.
The problem I'm running into is that I recently started smoking my pipe in the evening outdoors. I did this in the summer and now the Fall. But for the life of me I cannot keep the pipe lit... it is constantly going out with approximately 10 re-lights.
During the day outside, no issues at all, just at night. The tobacco is the same during the day and evening so dont feel its the tobacco. My load technique is also the same both times. I just cannot figure out why the difficulty in the evening?
Night air? Dampness? No breeze/wind?
I will say that there is hardly and breeze in the evening but not sure if that's the reason.
Any suggestions?
you're different is what I think. Probably more relaxed and slower at night. Or at least for me that's how it works.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
Very common problem. Indian burial ground. The veil between the spirit realm and ours is thinner at night, and your sacrilege use of tobacco without inviting their presence has angered the elder wraiths. Their chieftains don't care as much about oriental blends though, considering it is so far removed from the original tobaccos they used, so you may have better luck with a purely balkan blend like Peretti's Tashkent or Oriental #40. Very easy blends to smoke and I often smoke a bowl on 2-3 lights. With much prior suplication to the spirits of course.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
I am going to suggest that PERHAPS in the dark you end up lighting your pipe a bit differently, giving you the trouble. It may be you are very much a visual lighter and the different appearance in the dark is having you ignite the bowl differently. Perhaps try lighting your pipe in your garage with the lights on before heading into the dark outside to see if that alleviates the issue.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Despite some of the smartass responses on here, climate CAN affect your smoke. Changes in humidity and wind can definitely have an impact. More humidity makes for a wetter smoke and more relights in my experience, and too much wind can make the tobacco burn hotter and faster.

Hobbs

Lurker
Jan 12, 2022
Central New York State
Despite some of the smartass responses on here, climate CAN affect your smoke. Changes in humidity and wind can definitely have an impact. More humidity makes for a wetter smoke and more relights in my experience, and too much wind can make the tobacco burn hotter and faster.
That’s what I feel it might be. I live a couple hundred yards from a large river and many times during the evening you can see fog coming up from the river due to sun going down and temperature change. Sometimes the fog at night is heavy. Its definitely damper here at night and humidity has always been suspected. I just wasn’t sure if dampness and/or higher humidity would have an effect on this…hence my original post.
In the afternoon, there is rarely any fog or mist.

Even though the tobacco is dry enough, can dampness actually effect the tobacco that quickly? I mainly smoke Aeromatics and Sutliff Dark Decadence which is an extremely wet tobacco that I have sit out for a couple weeks or nuke it. But as mentioned, don’t have any trouble in the daytime.
But am going to try a Latakia and Virginia blend and see if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lumbridge and FLDRD