PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
So, as was discussed in part one which was locked due to "the great tinning debacle" We have here another K formerly K&K product Blended in Germany and Packaged in the USA. Again no way to tell the tinning date but we can assume it was tinned around Sep/Oct as the kinks get worked out hopefully we will get tinning dates for pre aged B&M buys and online pre aged surprises.

So far we have seen Rattray and now Wessex anybody seen any Robert McConnell?

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 16

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The greatest expense of that can of tobacco is likely the can, and packaging the can.

If the best Virginia tobacco costs ten cents an ounce in Zimbabwe the plan is to get it canned in Richmond where it retails for seven dollars an ounce.

I was in a smoke shop last week where they were selling one pound bags of cheap but genuine “expanded ribbon cut” pipe tobacco the size of a pillow for $12. The lady that worked there said the pound bag filled 500 cigarette tubes they sold for $1.50 per 200.

Each first of the month she said they had customers who would buy two pounds of tobacco and five cartons of tubes and make five cartons of filtered smokes for $35 dollars, tax paid.

Everything that nice little shop sold was tobacco related except the flavored cigarette papers, and a few strange looking pipes.

God only knows where the tobacco was raised or where it was packed, but she was drawing a paycheck and her boss was able to pay it, and the customers had cigarettes to smoke.

It’s hard to get up much sympathy for where a little $15 can of tobacco is made.:)

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
The greatest expense of that can of tobacco is likely the can, and packaging the can.

If the best Virginia tobacco costs ten cents an ounce in Zimbabwe the plan is to get it canned in Richmond where it retails for seven dollars an ounce.

I was in a smoke shop last week where they were selling one pound bags of cheap but genuine “expanded ribbon cut” pipe tobacco the size of a pillow for $12. The lady that worked there said the pound bag filled 500 cigarette tubes they sold for $1.50 per 200.

Each first of the month she said they had customers who would buy two pounds of tobacco and five cartons of tubes and make five cartons of filtered smokes for $35 dollars, tax paid.

Everything that nice little shop sold was tobacco related except the flavored cigarette papers, and a few strange looking pipes.

God only knows where the tobacco was raised or where it was packed, but she was drawing a paycheck and her boss was able to pay it, and the customers had cigarettes to smoke.

It’s hard to get up much sympathy for where a little $15 can of tobacco is made.:)
I'm just glad that it's more available hoping it will be easier to get McConnell Red VA

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I'm just glad that it's more available hoping it will be easier to get McConnell Red VA
I’m always fascinated how things come to be, as opposed to where they come from.

Somewhere in the world is a machine in a factory that’s stamping out little round metal tobacco cans.

The customer of those little cans is a tobacco company. The owner may or may not have competition making exactly the same little round cans.

The technology to stamp out pretty little tobacco cans dates back to that first little pocket can of Prince Albert in 1908. Anybody can do it, if they want to enter the market.

And somewhere else is a company that sells machines to stamp out little round metal cans.

And somewhere else is a company that sells parts to make metal can stamping machines.

Go far enough down the supply chain and there’s a guy on a machine digging iron ore.:)

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
@Briar Lee you've probably seen/read this. A classic.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri

I learned that one at home, at church, and at school.

Each time the further lesson was taught that there would be no schoolteachers requiring a number 2 lead pencil if not for a tax base supporting a school which taught writing to every school child regardless if they were the children of a pauper or a Prince.

And without public schools we all would be illiterate and have no need, of pencils.

And if we could not read, we would all be slaves to those who could.

The Campbelite child reads the Gospels, and wonders who taught Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John how to write.:)

Reactions: Scottmi

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
I’m always fascinated how things come to be, as opposed to where they come from.

Somewhere in the world is a machine in a factory that’s stamping out little round metal tobacco cans.

The customer of those little cans is a tobacco company. The owner may or may not have competition making exactly the same little round cans.

The technology to stamp out pretty little tobacco cans dates back to that first little pocket can of Prince Albert in 1908. Anybody can do it, if they want to enter the market.

And somewhere else is a company that sells machines to stamp out little round metal cans.

And somewhere else is a company that sells parts to make metal can stamping machines.

Go far enough down the supply chain and there’s a guy on a machine digging iron ore.:)
What about the people who built the machine that the guy is using to dig the iron oar? 🤓

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've long held this awareness of the reality that everything we have or do is the result of millions of actions taken by millions of people. Were more people truly aware of this, society would be very different, less devoted to celebrities, personalities, various forms of ideological BS, and much less polarized.

However, the commentators on this wonderful piece by Mr. Leonard can't avoid sticking their oar in to promote their personal spin when they summon the ghost of Adam Smith, neglecting to honestly state his views certain aspects of private property:

As soon as the land of any country has all become private property, the landlords, like all other men, love to reap where they never sowed and demand a rent even for its natural produce.”

Smith thought all landlords to be "cruel parasites".

Excellent essay. I've bookmarked it.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I've long held this awareness of the reality that everything we have or do is the result of millions of actions taken by millions of people. Were more people truly aware of this, society would be very different, less devoted to celebrities, personalities, various forms of ideological BS, and much less polarized.

However, the commentators on this wonderful piece by Mr. Leonard can't avoid sticking their oar in to promote their personal spin when they summon the ghost of Adam Smith, neglecting to honestly state his views certain aspects of private property:

As soon as the land of any country has all become private property, the landlords, like all other men, love to reap where they never sowed and demand a rent even for its natural produce.”

Smith thought all landlords to be "cruel parasites".

Excellent essay. I've bookmarked it.

No other religious sect (might as well to call them a cult) than the Scottish heritage Congregational Christians who discussed the proper balance of community effort versus individual liberties without ceasing, as the Campbellites influenced by John Whitaker of Weaubleau Missouri.

IMG_5438.jpeg
IMG_5436.jpeg

Too little liberty and too much community control (government) and the granite for Whitaker’s monument would still be a rock in Vermont. Without money, railroads, machines, and quarries that stone could not have been placed there.

Too much community and the Osage would still be chipping arrowheads from the chert in the creeks.

There had to be that first Osage who looked at his arrow, and thought if I made the point sharper and with a barb, I could bring home more venison and the maidens would smile, or maybe it was a fair maiden who made an arrowhead for her lover, that he might come home to her after the battle.

But somehow, there are lots of arrowheads still found today.

The Good Lord didn’t make ‘em.:)

Last edited: