PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
It's a wonderful thing to see a company with such a long history come on the fourms and interact with their customers. Most bigger companies you can't even get a person on the phone, just a robot. Although public display and the way a company talks to their customers is hugely important especially in this day and age where the slightest note of negativity or 1 bad post could be detrimental and have seen small artisan companies go out of business by not conducting themselfs properly in the public eye.

Bottom line can see both sides to this coin and hope Gowith can work out whatever issues they may be having so their long history and lineage does not get spoiled and will be around for years to come.

Ghosted Tamper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2023
South West, US
It's a wonderful thing to see a company with such a long history come on the fourms and interact with their customers. Most bigger companies you can't even get a person on the phone, just a robot. Although public display and the way a company talks to their customers is hugely important especially in this day and age where the slightest note of negativity or 1 bad post could be detrimental and have seen small artisan companies go out of business by not conducting themselfs properly in the public eye.

Bottom line can see both sides to this coin and hope Gowith can work out whatever issues they may be having so their long history and lineage does not get spoiled and will be around for years to come.
I suppose this goes to show why so many companies don't let a representative represent them on a public online forum.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
She is her own worst enemy.
Maybe. I don't see it that way. Maybe it's something I learned from the Brits I worked with on various productions over the years, but their ideas of etiquette, or manners if you will, differ from ours, in that it's not as effusive or fake friendly.
Perhaps I'm biased from the decades I've spent in "showbiz". Everybody is on a first name basis, performance friendliness and politeness that is phony as hell, and most everybody knows it's phony as hell, and is terrified to act any differently. It's a lot of manipulation going on.

I don't experience that with GH. She's got something to say, she says it without elaborate manipulation. I'm also happy that she's not a slick practiced liar, which is why the inconsistencies come to light. I've spent decades working with slick practiced liars and the best of them will weave a seamless alternate reality. People ask questions that aren't their business and get butt hurt when denied answers because they don't have a good grounding in boundaries. Perhaps it would have been better to say something along the lines of "it's not something that I can discuss". And for the average chowder head, "it's none of your damned business".

Perhaps she would be better advised to "play nice", and with the best fake sincerity, kiss our butts in order to more effectively pick our pockets with our happy cooperation.

All that aside, as far as i know, Arno does not have a Papal Dispensation to become the Spanish Inquisition.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
There’s already enough bullshit involved with all of us enjoying a pipeful of tobacco. Now we’re squabbling about shit on the largest internet pipe forum with one of the oldest blending houses on the planet? Damn guys.
That’s how we roll, yo.
Everybody bounces back.

• Haha
Reactions: Friendly Piper

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Maybe. I don't see it that way. Maybe it's something I learned from the Brits I worked with on various productions over the years, but their ideas of etiquette, or manners if you will, differ from ours, in that it's not as effusive or fake friendly.
Perhaps I'm biased from the decades I've spent in "showbiz". Everybody is on a first name basis, performance friendliness and politeness that is phony as hell, and most everybody knows it's phony as hell, and is terrified to act any differently. It's a lot of manipulation going on.

I don't experience that with GH. She's got something to say, she says it without elaborate manipulation. I'm also happy that she's not a slick practiced liar, which is why the inconsistencies come to light. I've spent decades working with slick practiced liars and the best of them will weave a seamless alternate reality. People ask questions that aren't their business and get butt hurt when denied answers because they don't have a good grounding in boundaries. Perhaps it would have been better to say something along the lines of "it's not something that I can discuss". And for the average chowder head, "it's none of your damned business".

Perhaps she would be better advised to "play nice", and with the best fake sincerity, kiss our butts in order to more effectively pick our pockets with our happy cooperation.

All that aside, as far as i know, Arno does not have a Papal Dispensation to become the Spanish Inquisition.
I compare her behavior with the other tobacco industry people that I know. They are all sincere, honest people. They don’t make shit up. They make good on mistakes. If they don’t know something, they tell you so. They freely share their knowledge, enthusiasticly. They don’t denigrate customers, even the real assholes.

My former partner in Standard Tobacco is a Brit. Speaks his mind, is funny as all get out, and has more social graces and generosity than just about anyone I’ve ever met.

Last edited:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I compare her behavior with the other tobacco industry people that I know. They are all sincere, honest people. They don’t make shit up. They make good on mistakes. If they don’t know something, they tell you so. The freely share their knowledge, enthusiasticly. They don’t denigrate customers, even the real assholes.

My former partner in Standard Tobacco is a Brit. Speaks his mind, is funny as all get out, and has more social graces and generosity than just about anyone I’ve ever met.
Hmmmm. Wonder who that could be!? Big on cutty meers, and active on the forum. Dunno. Maybe a game of Simon sez?

Status
Not open for further replies.