PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Evenin’ all.

My niece is presently in Charlotte, North Carolina and I’ve asked her to pick me up a can of any OTC she comes across, like Carter Hall, SWR or Granger, on her travels.

She says that she can’t get Carter Hall in NC but she could get it if she went to other states; is that right? I think she said Virginia and Pennsylvania but I could be wrong.

I thought that codger blends were available in most gas stations and drug stores/Walmart type places across the states?

Before anyone says that better tobaccos are available: she is a non-smoker and she wouldn’t go to a proper tobacconists to get something else, besides, I like the English old boy blends and I’m interested to try U.S old boy blends; it just seems strange that you can get a particular brand in one place but not in another, in the same country, or is she mistaken?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Evenin’ all.

My niece is presently in Charlotte, North Carolina and I’ve asked her to pick me up a can of any OTC she comes across, like Carter Hall, SWR or Granger, on her travels.

She says that she can’t get Carter Hall in NC but she could get it if she went to other states; is that right? I think she said Virginia and Pennsylvania but I could be wrong.

I thought that codger blends were available in most gas stations and drug stores/Walmart type places across the states?

Before anyone says that better tobaccos are available: she is a non-smoker and she wouldn’t go to a proper tobacconists to get something else, besides, I like the English old boy blends and I’m interested to try U.S old boy blends; it just seems strange that you can get a particular brand in one place but not in another, in the same country, or is she mistaken?
Tell her to look in cigarette stores.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Evenin’ all.

I'm a NC native, Charlotte's gas stations have cigarettes, vapes, cheap flavored cigars, and chewing tobacco. They're pretty skint on any pipe tobacco.

Your best bet if she's just staying in Charlotte is to go a Food Lion grocery store. They will likely have the older big tins of Sir Walter Raleigh. If you can talk her into walking into a tobacconist then McCranie's at Park Road is an institution, I know for a fact they've got a can of Granger. Might have others but I'm not 100% sure, and obviously a lot of other great tobaccos including discontinued stuff like Red Ribbon for a premium.

If she's out on the road or traveling elsewhere you can look for another grocery store called Ingles. They're usually in smaller towns up in the Appalachian mountains and will have cans of Prince Albert and Carter Hall.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I'm a NC native, Charlotte's gas stations have cigarettes, vapes, cheap flavored cigars, and chewing tobacco. They're pretty skint on any pipe tobacco.

Your best bet if she's just staying in Charlotte is to go a Food Lion grocery store. They will likely have the older big tins of Sir Walter Raleigh. If you can talk her into walking into a tobacconist then McCranie's at Park Road is an institution, I know for a fact they've got a can of Granger. Might have others but I'm not 100% sure, and obviously a lot of other great tobaccos including discontinued stuff like Red Ribbon for a premium.

If she's out on the road or traveling elsewhere you can look for another grocery store called Ingles. They're usually in smaller towns up in the Appalachian mountains and will have cans of Prince Albert and Carter Hall.
All the Ingles I was in over the past 3 weeks, only had tubs of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. No Ch or PA.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
That is a shame, it's probably been 4 or 5 months since I've been to an Ingles but it was pretty well stocked with SWR, CH and PA. Plus some pretty rare niche stuff like some old school snuff. Wonder if they're having supply issues.
Definitely a possibility. Seems like I distinctly remember them carrying Kentucky cheroots as well, but that was years ago. Haven't seen any in at least 6 years.

Reactions: Swiss Army Knife

Razorback

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2019
Atlanta, GA
+1 on the recommendations so far regarding smoke shops, Ingles supermarket and Food Market supermarket for the codger blends.

But she’ll be so close to McCrainie’s in Charlotte that maybe she could stop in there also. Surely there’s something in that shop that you can’t get there in England. Friendly folks there who would treat her well. Plus NC is a relatively low tax state for tobacco.
Good luck on your search!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've seen Carter Hall at smoke shops, though not so much at pipe shops, in N.C. Groceries and drugstores have gotten spotty on any kind of pipe tobacco. Some drugstores have one or two, others none, and many hide them behind check-out and down near the floor. You have to ask, or peer over the candy and magazines. I think it's true you have to look for pouch and tub tobaccos. J&R used to have discount cigars and pipe tobacco in great variety, but I'm not sure if that's still true. It's a bunch of driving to get out there off I-95 or similar routes to reach them.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England

I’ve relayed this information and see what happens.
Thanks for your help. ??

Reactions: Swiss Army Knife