Tongue Bite from Snuff? And, Can It be Dangerous?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

3 Fresh Jared Coles Pipes
119 Fresh Peterson Pipes
12 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes
48 Fresh Chacom Pipes
12 Fresh GH.ZHANG Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DeaconPiper

Might Stick Around
Jun 13, 2023
Pacific Northwest
Title edited for caps. and moved from Pipe Questions to General.

Good evening, gentlemen - -

Since October, I've gotten into the wonderful hobby of snuff. My experiences have been very, very positive. So many 'journeys' to explore with the various recipes. However, I seem to suffer tongue bite?

Although I do pipe (less now that I've picked up snuff) the bite isn't from heat. I'm guessing it's chemical tongue bite due to nasal drip. Any ideas on how to avoid?

Additionally, does tongue bite lead to any serious health risks/concerns?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

JackOrion

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2023
West Yonkers California
I’m going to say if you’re concerned about health risks, smoking a pipe is probably not the best way to spend your time. It’s definitely a gamble.
It should be noted though that Einstein when told by his doctor to put down the pipe continued to cold smoke it.
There can’t be any harm other than the bank account to collecting and looking at pipes. Just don’t go near the leafy stuff, unless…… everyone knows the rest of it

Reactions: King Bulldog
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Good evening, gentlemen - -

Since October, I've gotten into the wonderful hobby of snuff. My experiences have been very, very positive. So many 'journeys' to explore with the various recipes. However, I seem to suffer tongue bite?

Although I do pipe (less now that I've picked up snuff) the bite isn't from heat. I'm guessing it's chemical tongue bite due to nasal drip. Any ideas on how to avoid?

Additionally, does tongue bite lead to any serious health risks/concerns?

Thanks!
As quite a many in Sweden&Finland I also use swedish snuss on occasion.when I unable to smoke my pipes,but never have I encountered any bite from the use of snuss, It is pipe smoking which may lead to occasional tongue bite,and which is not to worry about. Although I'm not a physician. Take a break for the few days and try a new, if this tongue bite repeats, you may consider dropping all these so called hobbies which per se they are not,

DeaconPiper

Might Stick Around
Jun 13, 2023
Pacific Northwest
ALL tobacco use comes with inherent risks
As responsible adults, WE should decide on our individual risk- benefit criteria. And act accordingly

It’s disingenuous posing this question on the Forums
Forgive me, I'm just asking out of ignorance. I understand that tobacco carries risks, and I'm perfectly okay with it. What I'm asking is whether tongue bite itself, over time, contributes to anything serious.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Any ideas on how to avoid?
Easy, refrain from the products which cause you discomfort. Seems obvious enough. Any physical problem you subject your body to might result in serious, long lasting problems. Seems obvious enough. Listen to your body! Or, just suffer the consequences, quietly, of your choices.

Last edited:

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Forgive me, I'm just asking out of ignorance. I understand that tobacco carries risks, and I'm perfectly okay with it. What I'm asking is whether tongue bite itself, over time, contributes to anything serious.
If you get tongue bite, your tongue is responding to a noxious stimulus or substance.
If it is just occasional, it is probably imconsequential
It is different it it is ongoing, on a frequent basis

Problems may not surface in the short term, but may take years or decades to become apparent.

Reactions: DeaconPiper

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Most long term irritation can cause cancer to trigger. That's why alcoholics are at higher risk for esophageal cancer, cigarettes lung cancer, and snuff mouth cancer. Pipers mouth is also a thing. Constant tongue bite and mouth irritation leads to white stripes on the sides of the inside of the cheeks. Again.....Higher risk for cancer. So to answer your question yes you're at higher risk. To avoid it I'd say quit doing it is the only way.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
It's quite possible I'm overdoing it. I have a variety of snuffs, but I wonder if it's the menthol ones. I've been taking a lot of menthol snuffs lately, throughout the day.
Could be a reaction to menthol. I use menthol very sparingly as my nose plugs up after taking it. It's a common thing with a lot of people and menthol snuff. I'd maybe give it a break Oe try not using menthol see if that helps.

Reactions: DeaconPiper
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Time out! We're talking about nasal snuff, and not chew/dip/snus, right?

I'm trying to figure out how it could be getting into your mouth, only thing I can possibly conceive of is that you're snorting way too hard. With fine, dry snuffs you should act like you're just smelling it. Like a flower or glass of wine or something. You can always sniff it back further once it's in your nose. It's the coarse and/or moister snuffs that should take any effort to pull it off your hand, and even then, I will start off easy and try again if I was less than successful.

DeaconPiper

Might Stick Around
Jun 13, 2023
Pacific Northwest
Time out! We're talking about nasal snuff, and not chew/dip/snus, right?

I'm trying to figure out how it could be getting into your mouth, only thing I can possibly conceive of is that you're snorting way too hard. With fine, dry snuffs you should act like you're just smelling it. Like a flower or glass of wine or something. You can always sniff it back further once it's in your nose. It's the coarse and/or moister snuffs that should take any effort to pull it off your hand, and even then, I will start off easy and try again if I was less than successful.
Yes, nasal snuff. Maybe you're right - - snorting too hard, too much. Or, too much menthol.

Reactions: ThermionicScott