Tongue Bite from Snuff? And, Can It be Dangerous?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
If it's "medicated" snuff, there's also the possibility of camphor as being the culprit. I don't know how many medicated/menthol snuffs use camphor, but I know some people can be a little allergic to it. I know McChrystal's O&G uses camphor.

Still shouldn't be getting on the tongue though. If your nose runs when using snuff, just wipe it with a handkerchief (don't use paper towels, too abrasive, even Kleenex type tissues are a bit too harsh to me), don't try to snort the snot up into your nose or suck it down your throat.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

DeaconPiper

Might Stick Around
Jun 13, 2023
Pacific Northwest
Update for anyone curious.

Doctor said everything is good, nasal snuff is virtually harmless, and piping ain't an issue as long as I continue moderately (according to my unique situation).

All this said, I’ve determined my specific tongue bite is, in fact, caused by an (allergic?) reaction from heavy menthol nasal snuff use. So, I’ve switched to exclusively dark snuff blends like Viking Dark, Mullins and Westley black rapee blends and Jock’s Choice and zero problems.

In fact, I find these straight tobacco, dark snuffs more in line with my traditional, English blend piping tastes, really complimentary to them, actually. So, all is well - - happy snuffing and piping!

Thank you, all of you, for your invaluable guidance and input on the situation. Another reason I return to this forum. Appreciate you fellas!