PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Keitha

Might Stick Around
Jun 23, 2020
Costa Mesa, CA
I was getting some moderate tongue-bite just about every time I smoked. I have been working on technique and slowing down the pace (no drastic changes), but at the same time I switched to Arm & Hammer toothpaste. After about a week of using this toothpaste, the tongue-bite has all but disappeared. I can only believe that the baking soda in the toothpaste does affect your mouth chemistry and neutralizes acids as it says on the label.
Now this may be a coincidence and that my technique is helping, but I really did not change much there.
I would be curious if others have tried this. If not, give it a shot and let us know here. It is only a few bucks a tube.

This is what I am using now:
TP.jpg

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Interesting, if there's a connection. Not experiencing a great need for it, but I'll give it a shot next time I buy toothpaste. My teeth don't give a damn what brand I use. Perhaps my tongue will, after being subjected to the occasional nicotine bender. (I sometimes like to pretend I'm Jim Inks...don't tell anyone...tee hee!)

Keitha

Might Stick Around
Jun 23, 2020
Costa Mesa, CA
Baking Soda neutralizes acids. It's the acids in the Virginia tobacco smoke that leads to the bite. It could be coincidence or it could really be helping. Only way to find out is to get more data from others willing to give it a try.

Reactions: Charlie718

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
you could just try rinsing your mouth with baking soda mixed in water and see if it has the same effect. It's also as likely that the toothpaste you used before was causing a reaction when combined with smoking. Who knows?

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
Interesting thread, explains why I usually drink coffee (dark roast which has less acid then light) with a Virginia or any smoke for that matter. Sometimes by the end of the day I get a feeling like to much acid on the back of my tongue. At first I thought it was the zest taste in the Virginia’s building up and was washing it away with a coffee but maybe I’ve been neutralizing the build up of acid? I’m definitely going to try Biotene because I also get the feeling of dry mouth as well.

sherlockRoy

Lurker
Jan 20, 2021
Arroyo Grande, CA
I was getting some moderate tongue-bite just about every time I smoked. I have been working on technique and slowing down the pace (no drastic changes), but at the same time I switched to Arm & Hammer toothpaste. After about a week of using this toothpaste, the tongue-bite has all but disappeared. I can only believe that the baking soda in the toothpaste does affect your mouth chemistry and neutralizes acids as it says on the label.
Now this may be a coincidence and that my technique is helping, but I really did not change much there.
I would be curious if others have tried this. If not, give it a shot and let us know here. It is only a few bucks a tube.

This is what I am using now:
View attachment 80464
I wonder if it will work on "nose bite" if I stick a little up my nose? ;)
Seriously though, I gently exhale most of my smoke through my nose in order to taste it better, so to pass muster in my house as to being a tobacco that doesn't bite, it must not nip my nose upon exhale – which eliminates most English and most Virginia tobaccos, but I found a few of each that are fine.