PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
If you had a store, which must-have pipe brands would you carry? For that matter, which must-have but unique accessories? A kind of significant on line retailer has asked me to provide them with this sort of advice (I'll reveal the name of the retailer in a couple of weeks), and I figured there's no better folks to ask than the pipesmagazine forum.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Pipes: Savinelli, Peterson, Nording, Castello, Caminetto, Dunhill, Armelenni, Chacom, Radice to name a few.

Accessories: the usual pipe tools, lighter, etc. and a good line of racks, and stands.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
Not going to happen but,
In order of importance;
Patent Dunhills

Patent Sasienis

Pre Cadogen GBDs

Pre merger Barlings

Pre merger Comoys

Upshalls

Ashtons

Charatans pre Lane Era

Ferndown

BBBs
Any tobaconia that revolves around above listed brands, and the full catalog of Dunhill Blends, although they do not have to be the Murray's as I can not taste the difference. Also a nice display of Rattray's, GL Pease, and Mclelland.
I rarely buy new pipes but I would think a store must carry Peterson, Savinelli, and Stanwell for starters, throw in a high end brand Dunhill, Ashton, or Castello, and you would have a nice well rounded store.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Personally I think the tobacco is the same if not more important to keep in stock than the pipes

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
"Personally I think the tobacco is the same if not more important to keep in stock than the pipes"
I agree, but I actually have a pretty good idea of what to recommend from a tobacco standpoint. My pipe knowledge, however, is pretty poor.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
J. Allen

Michael Parks

Brian Ruthenberg

Rad Davis

Old Nellie

Charles Cole

Thomas James

EJH

Jack Howell

Russ Cook
Smokin' Holsters bags

Larry Falkner tampers

Pearl lighters

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
I would also go to Big Van's store if he threw in some Randy WIley's to complete the American scene.

sirsmokesalot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2012
North Carolina
Peterson

Nording

Stanwell

Butz choquin

Savinelli

Castello

Ser Jacopo

Becker

Chacom

Dunhill
I guess with this mix....Every budget would be happy!

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
You know, I'll go along with every brand mentioned. If a retailer is really looking to offer top shelf , try keeping American hand made pipes in stock.

Buying and selling estate pipes is an important part of it as well.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Michael Parks is Canadian, so if I was going to keep the store strictly American, I'd gladly sub in Randy Wiley.
Not sure what I'd do about lighters... Zippo is of course American, but not the greatest for pipes.
Maybe just a HUGE selection of Ohio Blue Tip matches.

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
I would add Aldo Velani to the list because I love 'em.

As for American products, ya gotta include thesmokindragon and unclearthur. :puffy:

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I second that the tobacco is just as important if not more important than the pipes. If I was running my own pipe shop I'd definately carry Stanwell, Peterson, Savinelli, Butz-Choquin, Nording, Castello, and Dunhill. As for tobaccos I'd probably carry a good amount of Mac Baren, Peterson, McClelland, Dunhill, and GL Pease blends as they're pretty popular. Accessories wise I'd say it's good to have a nice selection of pipe racks, lighters (I'd try to carry a few brands version of the Old Boy style), pipe tools and tampers, and ashtrays (especially with the cork knocker on them).

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Just so you guys know, Leonard is the Brand Manager for Pipe Tobacco & RYO for Lane Limited. Lane is a new site sponsor, and friend of the house.
Thanks for all of your responses so far.

briarbird

Can't Leave
Dec 7, 2011
I am with Bigvan's picks, those carvers are fantastic, and I am partial to the Ohio blue tip matches as well... :puffy:

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
I think I would have like four quality mass producers like Pete, Sav, Stanwell, Dunhill, and a nice selection of small hand craftiers that would bring a nice draw on the site and if the rest of your prices were right you would get most of there business.

nabottle

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2011
Pipes:

PETERSON

Nording

Ser Jacopo

Butz Choquin
Tobacco:

Gawith & Hoggarth

Rattray's

Peterson

Cornell & Diehl

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
smokindragon

petersen

briarbird

dunhill

butz choquin

Uncle Arther

Nording

ejh
all of the lane brands tobacco

all mac baren

gl pease
and for accesories the list would be way to long of what i would like to see in there

Jul 12, 2011
I can not do only top 10, how about top 15 ;-)
Tom Eltang

Former

Stanwell

Uncle A

Jake Hackert

Mark Balkovec

Mark Tinsky

Ashton

Radice

Castello

Ardor

Sav

Ser Jac

Claudio Cavicchi

Peterson

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
think ya may want to carry some Obsidian stem oil, some briar wipe ,pipe cleaners and some type of pipe sweetner,

dont forget the reamers
ohhh and find a good clay pipe maker

Status
Not open for further replies.