PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
Very risky. It's only a matter of time before you get the angle a tiny bit wrong, a gust of wind moves the flame or you hold the jet too close.

I forgot the most important thing. It's hard to accurately guage the center of a one inch diameter target that's suspended 5 or 6 inches from your eyes. I'm lucky to get close enough not to scorch the rim using a match.
Could lose the best part of my beard!

Reactions: sandollars

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
On a related subject. Scorching the rim of a pipe can be reduced by beveling the inner edge of the top of the bowl. About 45 degrees is best. See attached. Tip: If you want to do this to a pipe and don't have the right tool, a simple ball shaped cutting stone that will fit the end of an electric drill can do the trick. puffy

inline (6) (Copy).jpg

Reactions: FLDRD and dunnyboy
I could probably light my pipe with a grenade if thrown just right, but I think I will stick with the proper tools for the job.

A Bic is only a buck. Why risk damage to your pipe? puffy
I do admit that I use a Bic 98% of the time. You just can't beat them. Plus, if you run into lighter problems, and all expensive lighters will give you a problem or run out of fuel sooner than a Bic, then I can just stop and buy a new one for pocket change.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
After watching the video below I started pondering if the Burners/torch lighter might still be usable(in right hands ) for pipes,especially outdoors,on occasion I have seen some older pipesmokers using them here,what is your take on this?
With your caveats, absolutely yes. But not recommended!

And as to temperature, it is controlled by time and distance from the tobacco, no matter what the source.

Reactions: anotherbob

Zapasta

Lurker
Oct 23, 2021
Tampa, FL
The only time I'd consider using a torch, is with a pipe I don't care about at all, in very windy conditions.this guy seems to think that a torch will light the tobacco more evenly, but this is simply not the case. The tobacco can be lit and burn evenly with a soft flame as well.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Who is "this guy"?

In any event, any source of flame short of acetylene can provide an even light. Just very hard with some sources!