PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TakeThisCobAndStuffIt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2023
Tidewater, VA
I realize that it is sacrilege to light with anything but a match; but... do torch lighters damage meerschaum like they do briar or cob? I understand all of the thermodynamics of the heat etc. Just asking those with experience are they as bad for the meerschaum material as they are for briar? Thanks

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

TakeThisCobAndStuffIt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2023
Tidewater, VA
That was really just a soft introduction. I have very carefully used a torch on a briar without harming it. I am really asking if the same care is needed for meerschaum or if a torch could be used more regularly with meer considering light time is much faster. Does the torch scorch up the meer or harm it in a meaningful way?

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I use pipe lighters and/or Bic lighters all the time to light my meerschaum pipes. I'm just careful as to not scorch the rim of the pipe. I would not use a torch lighter unless you had to out of necessity, but you do what you want to do as it's your pipe.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
On that note: the local Tinder Box gave me a free pipe, a Cassano "Ambra." Handed it over and said, "What's wrong with this pipe?" The rusticated band hides the 1/2" hole burned through the wall, just above and to one side of the shank. A customer bought one, returned it in this condition, called it faulty, bought a second. When he brought this one, the third, they insisted on knowing what he was doing to them. He had bought a "pipe lighter," and believed anything with a straight-out fame, i.e. torch, was intended as a pipe lighter. He had purchased a propane pen torch... with which you can solder... and in seven days or so, holding it at a downward, diagonal angle in his left hand, it was burning straight through. It sits on my pipe shelf.

The remaining Tinder Box in my area has a Nording Freehand on their shelves that was destroyed in the same manner by an unknowing beginner.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I use a torch only in very high winds, and not often at that.

Any source of heat if hot enough can be used to ignite tobacco. Nothing is sacred, not cedar shakes, not lighters, not matches. Use what you like.

Frog Snacks

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2023
My meerschaums have very thin bow rims like one is probably only 1mm thick and the other is maybe 2mms and I have used torches on them just fine, I don't do it all the time but if a torch is what's near me I won't get up and go look for a soft flame I'll use the torch, I wouldn't sit there cooking it like you're trying to light up a crack rock, but enough to light a pipe is fine in my experience.

Meerschaum doesn't burn but I'm sure if you heat it too much too fast it might crack, just like smoking a cold meerschaum pipe in the winter, As long as the temperature change is at a slow rate. Just like glass, if you temperature shock glass it will crack too, I think of meerschaum the same way.