PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dottlejockey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Any Rad Davis fans out there?

I acquired a couple of his pipes years ago while he was still active in the pipe making world and have always admired the quality of his craftsmanship. Whenever one of these comes up for sale somewhere my trigger finger gets a wee bit itchy. Might just snag another one someday when the timing and design are right.

Anyhoo, here are the two I have been smoking for quite a while:

IMG_5524.JPG

IMG_5529.JPG

Always liked the chunky squashed tomato shape. I have one of these from Tim West, too, in a smooth finish. Both are excellent, cool smokers. The smaller pipe up top is so well balanced with the angle of the bottom cut that it will not stand without the cumberland bit in place. I love the thin shank against the shape of the bowl and always thought the thin wooden accent for the stem connection was a crafty touch. The tomato needs a good cleaning and rubbing with oil, but I figured showing it this way would be truer to form, being the smokehorse that it is. :)

dottlejockey

Starting to Get Obsessed
I've owned a few, but they never worked well for me.
In what sense did they "never work?" The ones i've smoked have all performed extraordinarily well, albeit style is certainly subjective to taste, of course. Assuming you wouldn't have bought something that you didn't find aesthetically pleasing, was this an issue with performance or just that you happened to never reach for them? I've certainly had good pipes that -- for whatever reason -- i don't smoke often enough to warrant keeping them in the stable, so to speak. Curious.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
In what sense did they "never work?" The ones i've smoked have all performed extraordinarily well, albeit style is certainly subjective to taste, of course. Assuming you wouldn't have bought something that you didn't find aesthetically pleasing, was this an issue with performance or just that you happened to never reach for them? I've certainly had good pipes that -- for whatever reason -- i don't smoke often enough to warrant keeping them in the stable, so to speak. Curious.
The tomato - I just didn't care for the conical bowl and shape, so that was aesthetics vs design/function.

On the sandblasted Rhodesian - selling that was one was hard, I loved the shape so much. That was made in 2014 - Rad had just returned to pipe making from a serious health issue. It never broke in, despite 50-couple bowls thru it. That one was screaming for a bowl coating. Was he buying unseasoned briar at that time? I always suspected the briar was the issue. I lost $100 on that one and really wanted it to work.