PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I’m positive this has been discussed in excruciating detail here somewhere before, but I couldn’t find the exact answer to my question. So, apologies in advance!

Does transferring from a sealed jar to a Mylar bag cause any serious disruption to the aging process? Most of my bulk I’m not specifically trying to age, so I’m not concerned. I do, however, have 5 jars of FVF that I was planning to age for at least 10 years. Would opening the jars and going to Mylar now at the 2.5 year mark really result in a “less aged” version than if I had just left it alone?

Reactions: jpmcwjr
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
If that’s what you’d like to do…do it. Especially, since aging doesn’t matter. The short answer is your tobacco will be fine and won’t likely disrupt anything. Technically though, the FVF will be exposed to more O2 and a pause in your “aging” will occur. I open my jars periodically to get a sense for how they’ve developed. Aging is nice, but I’ve stocked mostly so I have what I want when I want it. ?☕

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the responses, guys! Might just keep the small amount of FVF jarred then, and the rest will get moved over. The jars don’t stack, so they topple over any time they are disturbed. Plus the weight is causing my cheap closet shelving boards to bow. After getting my first taste of Mylar with a recent KBV order I’m really digging how easy it is to store. I just sandwich all the bags of a particular blend together and throw a couple rubber bands around it. Makes for a neat little bundle that can be tossed wherever.

Reactions: kcghost and jpmcwjr

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Unless you are really jammed for space, and feel like moving to Mylar bags will free up enough room to really make a difference, I'd be compelled to just leave it as it is. If the jars are truly in an anaerobic state, then opening them will stop the anaerobic processes. What happens next is unknown. Will the tobacco oxidize? Will aerobic bacteria slowly take hold again, until all of the O2 is consumed and anaerobic bacteria can begin again? Will everything just stop dead in its tracks? Does it even matter? Until there's a bacteriologist with a penchant for pipes and research, those questions will go unanswered.

IMG_2444 (002)_edit.jpg

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
You would have to make the transfer in a class 100 clean, airtight cabinet. Said cabinet should have facilities to evacuate the interior atmosphere, and purge it with a 100% nitrogen atmosphere. You’ll have to have an impulse sealer in there too.

A large sanding cabinet, the kind with the holes in front with the rubber gloves would be ideal.

??????

Just open the jars and put the tobacco in the Mylar, seal it up and be done with it.

Manufacturers have 400 lb bales of tobacco sitting around aging in warehouses. About the only concern is maintaining a certain temperature and humidity range.

Your fiddling around with the tobacco for several minutes is going to have little to virtually no effect in long run…

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
In the last year or so, new acquisitions have been cellared in heat-sealed mylar bags, they are easier to store and move. I'm not disturbing what has been cellared in mason jars until I'm ready to consume the contents. Mostly I'm too lazy to move stuff, some of which are 32 oz mason jars stuffed with tobacco, I'd have to break that down to fit into several mylar pouches. I don't know what the effect(s) of repackaging might be, if it's not broken I don't fix it.