PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

iquester

Lurker
May 29, 2023
Leawood,KS
Help! I have an early Barling Spigot Billiard that has confusing Hallmarks. It has a T which were date it 1954 on the London Hallmark, but it has a Birmingham stamp. It has what looks to be a diamond surround on the T. Any help would be greatly appreciated to accurately date this old Barling. eBay listing. Mike Gardner

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The earliest this could date to, based on the description of the hallmarks, plus the nomenclature stamped in the shank, is 1968, and I’m skeptical of that, because the town stamp is Birmingham instead of London. Possibly late ‘90’s.
I would need to see clear images of the hallmarks, not the smears on the listing. I never, ever, accept another’s description of a hallmark at face value.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
The earliest this could date to, based on the description of the hallmarks, plus the nomenclature stamped in the shank, is 1968, and I’m skeptical of that, because the town stamp is Birmingham instead of London. Possibly late ‘90’s.
I would need to see clear images of the hallmarks, not the smears on the listing. I never, ever, accept another’s description of a hallmark at face value.

Agree with all of this, and as Jesse implies the 5101 shape number is post transition nomenclature. It means extra large billiard curvet with a short bite length saddle bit.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I would still question that for one reason, the Birmingham assay stamp - Barling used the London assay stamp. Also, the description of the cartouche doesn’t fit.
Yeah certainly that silver wasn't original to that pipe - that happens.

BUT the Birmingham anchor attached to the Barling EB WB is super fishy.

From the eBay description, "Thanks to several Barling Collectors for help clarifying the provenance. Lovely 50 year old Barling."

I'd love to hear these collectors opinions.

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yeah certainly that silver wasn't original to that pipe - that happens.

BUT the Birmingham anchor attached to the Barling EB WB is super fishy.

From the eBay description, "Thanks to several Barling Collectors for help clarifying the provenance. Lovely 50 year old Barling."

I'd love to hear these collectors opinions.
The collectors were Daryl, his brother Daryl, and his other brother Daryl.

iquester

Lurker
May 29, 2023
Leawood,KS
Thanks for all your information and expertise. I’ll try to post some clear pictures when I can take them. I have updated the description on eBay based on the information you have shared here. Thanks again.