PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
I generally use a drill bit as a pin gauge to measure a draft hole. Find one that is a snug fit and that is about the diameter.

I use carnauba wax on pipes but I do have a buffer. Not sure it would work well by hand. I'm not sure what would work best for that.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Renaissance wax is easy to get off eBay. There’s a firm in Yorkshire that have little sample tins ‘free of charge’. I used to buy my micro mesh pads off them as well.

drill bits for measuring hole size.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
How different is Renaissance wax from Paragon or Halcyon? Supplies of the latter two seem to have dwindled—I don’t know if the maker went out of business, died, or what.
Search me; never used P. or H. since it is not available this end of the world.
Very expensive too . A while ago I studied the product sheet and to me it is approx. the same as Ren.
If memory serves Ren. wax even has a higher melting point .
It works fine for me on both smoothies and rusticated or blasted. A tin ( almost literally ) lasts forever.
Not a clue what happened to the maker of P. and H.
I've been hunting for a jar of Swiss pipe maker Roman Peter "Pfeifenwachs " for a while now.
So far to no avail.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Search me; never used P. or H. since it is not available this end of the world.
Very expensive too . A while ago I studied the product sheet and to me it is approx. the same as Ren.
If memory serves Ren. wax even has a higher melting point .
It works fine for me on both smoothies and rusticated or blasted. A tin ( almost literally ) lasts forever.
Not a clue what happened to the maker of P. and H.
I've been hunting for a jar of Swiss pipe maker Roman Peter "Pfeifenwachs " for a while now.
So far to no avail.

Thanks! I guess buying some Renaissance and trying it out is what I need to do. I have some powdered Carnauba wax I got from Vermont Freehand awhile back. I’m wondering if a small amount could be mixed in with Renaissance to good effect.

Reactions: ThebigFil

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
How different is Renaissance wax from Paragon or Halcyon? Supplies of the latter two seem to have dwindled—I don’t know if the maker went out of business, died, or what.
Halcyon seems similar to or is identical to Renaissance. Paragon is longer lasting than the other two and seems to dry harder. Paragon also dries white and can be difficult to remove from crevices and stampings. So, it's not recommended for rusticated and blasted pipes.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Halcyon seems similar to or is identical to Renaissance. Paragon is longer lasting than the other two and seems to dry harder. Paragon also dries white and can be difficult to remove from crevices and stampings. So, it's not recommended for rusticated and blasted pipes.

Yes, I use Paragon for smooth pipes and Halcyon II for rusticated and sandblasted, mainly for the reasons you stated. These waxes seem harder to come by in the last year, so I’m looking for viable alternatives. I have never tried the original Halcyon. Is Renaissance closer to that version or Halcyon II?

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
Yes, I use Paragon for smooth pipes and Halcyon II for rusticated and sandblasted, mainly for the reasons you stated. These waxes seem harder to come by in the last year, so I’m looking for viable alternatives. I have never tried the original Halcyon. Is Renaissance closer to that version or Halcyon II?
I never used the original Halcyon, only Halcyon Il. Halcyon II looks a little different from Renaissance, maybe a bit more opaque. But it seems to perform the same. I think Renaissance is a perfectly good substitute for Halcyon II.

But Paragon is unique. I keep hoping that Smoking Pipes or some other outfit will buy the recipe from Sam Goldberger, who seems to have closed shop.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
One thing about, if somebody needs something we usually can direct them to the right place or tell them it is no longer made. Oh, there is no best. We're just telling what we use and/or recommend.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I ended up ordering several different microcrystalline waxes to test since Paragon and Halcyon II are no longer in production. I’ll report back here with what my experiences are after I try these out and compare them to Paragon and Halcyon II. This could be interesting. I’ve got: Renaissance, Von Schneider, Le Crayons a Gratter Conservator, and Decatur. There was one other that I was considering trying, but the reports of it smelling odd took it out of the running. The first three might be museum quality and safe for archival use.

20240308_111812.jpg

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
I ended up ordering several different microcrystalline waxes to test since Paragon and Halcyon II are no longer in production. I’ll report back here with what my experiences are after I try these out and compare them to Paragon and Halcyon II. This could be interesting. I’ve got: Renaissance, Von Schneider, Le Crayons a Gratter Conservator, and Decatur. There was one other that I was considering trying, but the reports of it smelling odd took it out of the running. The first three might be museum quality and safe for archival use.

View attachment 294276
I look forward to your report! What was the odd smelling one that you rejected?

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
What a nice display Jeff.
The von Sc

View attachment 294276
What a nice display Jeff.
The von Schneider in particular gets very positive reviews.
Please keep us posted :)
Unfortunatel Amazon does not ship the wax to the Netherlands :(