PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
So It looks as though a full ban on tobacco being sold to anyone born on or after 2009 will be going ahead as it passed its first hurdle in parliament MPs back smoking ban for those born after 2009 - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68824493

My thoughts:

Am I glad my two children will be far less likely to start smoking cigarettes?
Definitely yes. I wish I had never started and just had the occasional cigar or pipe rather than 20/30 a day that I smoked in my teens and 20s.

Infringement on personal liberty?
Yes! I believe in freedom of choice alongside good access to health education so people make informed decision. Generations of smokers probably started on cigarettes without a clue what the dangers are.

Enforceable ?
It will be almost impossible when those in the cutoff age (like my daughter) turn 30 or 40 and someone a year or two older can buy tobacco. The requirement on shops and websites will be impossible to monitor and check.

Will it eventually mean further reduction in Pipe tobacco and cigar choices as we get older?
Definitely yes. The UK market will become increasingly reduced and difficult to sell to so I can't see pipe tobacco producers bothering in 20 years or so. (The last 5 years have already seen elevated costs of import from Europe and we have lost some brands)

It's a law against cigarette smokers and I think cigar and pipe smokers are collateral damage!! Other countries watch this space as if it's successful I'm sure others will follow...

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I've seen people saying things like 'I'm glad this has happened for cigarettes, but pipes and cigars should be exempt!'. I think this misses the key point, which is about freedom of choice (including to smoke cigarettes). Also, without cigarette companies to sell most tobacco crop to, farmers just won't bother growing it. You may still get cigars (at ever higher prices), but pipe tobacco could disappear.

Edited to make clear that I'm talking about a future where other countries followed this lead, which may not happen. Even if not, I suspect as you say that tobacco companies will cease to sell to the UK market.

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
I've seen people saying things like 'I'm glad this has happened for cigarettes, but pipes and cigars should be exempt!'. I think this misses the key point, which is about freedom of choice (including to smoke cigarettes). Also, without cigarette companies to sell most tobacco crop to, farmers just won't bother growing it. You may still get cigars (at ever higher prices), but pipe tobacco could disappear.

Edited to make clear that I'm talking about a future where other countries followed this lead, which may not happen. Even if not, I suspect as you say that tobacco companies will cease to sell to the UK market.
I agree with you. I am in favour of freedom of choice, (just not for my children) :LOL:;)

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
In England likewise as in Finland, they almost prohibited access to owning Guns , and now ,I see they are planning to kill tobacco industry and eventually independent tobacconist stores as well.And as of now, in order to raise some money to budget our Gov has decided to increase our national VAT level to a whopping % 25 which will be then new record in Europe,

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I always saw smoking in its various forms very British.

Can we all imagine a world without Churchill and his cigars. 😮

I really thought Europe was a world, where smoking would always thrive, because I assumed, their perceptions of Life were different, in regards to the so called good life, and indulging in fine food, drink and smoke.

hmm 🤔

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I’ve cellared enough for
Just like prohibition in the U.S., everything will be just fine....

View attachment 305926
it‘ was probably a lot harder to stop a bunch of drunks than it is to stop a few old farts smoking pipes on their porch. Besides, now they make you dig deeper into your wallet and they know that works better. They’ve taken a lot of my money recentl.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Well, this will if passed. It's what happens when you decide to elect a do-gooder PM instead of somebody who has a lick of sense. And, yes, they can control it. If they make it illegal to manufacture tobacco products or import it will be a tough law to break.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Well, this will if passed. It's what happens when you decide to elect a do-gooder PM instead of somebody who has a lick of sense. And, yes, they can control it. If they make it illegal to manufacture tobacco products or import it will be a tough law to break.
I don't agree with that. In England the price of cigarettes has been going up and up over the last 20 years. A pack of cigarettes is now £15 - £16. Running parallel to this has been the rise of illegal cigarettes selling for £5 - £6. Most pubs will have some geezer who can sell you some. I believe they're knock offs from China, but when such savings are on offer people aren't that bothered.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
New Zealand were the first to pass a law like this and they've just repealed it🤦🏻‍♂️.

I feel like these kinds of things are the legislative version of busy work. They don't end up doing anything but make it appear as if the legislature is doing something about the issue. My classic example is from my own State PA. In bottle shops you can only buy some volume of beer per trip. The antisaloon league is happy and drinkers are barely inconvenienced.
Basically you can say we are doing something drastic but pull out before the consequences hit.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I don't agree with that. In England the price of cigarettes has been going up and up over the last 20 years. A pack of cigarettes is now £15 - £16. Running parallel to this has been the rise of illegal cigarettes selling for £5 - £6. Most pubs will have some geezer who can sell you some. I believe they're knock offs from China, but when such savings are on offer people aren't that bothered.
Here in Finland we are observing thje very same situation , smuggling is fluorishing from neighboring countries and from Poland & Moldova

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I feel like these kinds of things are the legislative version of busy work. They don't end up doing anything but make it appear as if the legislature is doing something about the issue. My classic example is from my own State PA. In bottle shops you can only buy some volume of beer per trip. The antisaloon league is happy and drinkers are barely inconvenienced.
Basically you can say we are doing something drastic but pull out before the consequences hit.
Couldn't agree with this more. It's to distract attention from their huge failures in other areas.