PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I don't agree with that. In England the price of cigarettes has been going up and up over the last 20 years. A pack of cigarettes is now £15 - £16. Running parallel to this has been the rise of illegal cigarettes selling for £5 - £6. Most pubs will have some geezer who can sell you some. I believe they're knock offs from China, but when such savings are on offer people aren't that bothered.
True, but I doubt the quality pipe tobacco will survive this legislation.

Reactions: Servant King
Jun 9, 2018
England
I think Gawith will continue to sell tobacco in the UK under these new restrictions. If Gawith only sold to the UK market then I could see there being a problem, but they sell worldwide. I believe they'll concentrate on the international market more but still sell what they can in the UK. That's if any of this happens. New Zealand are all ready repealing a similar law. It's literally a clusterfuck waiting to happen.

20 years fom now, outside a supermarket:

"excuse me mate, are you an old age pensioner? You are? Oh, that's great. The reason I ask is because I'm only 37 years old and I want to buy some cigarettes, but they won't sell them to me because i'm not 38. Could you do me a massive favour and go in and buy me a pack of Marlboro? They cost £2067, here's the money. Cheers mate👍"

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
Actually, I haven't. Just read a synopsis somewhere. Maybe I should watch the actual thing.
“pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!!”. I.e. this shambolic “ban” will only enrich the criminal element and serve no real purpose aside from political brownie points.

See also the “fireworks ban” in Hawaii. The YouTube video for 4th of July will bring tears to your eyes.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
this shambolic “ban” will only enrich the criminal element and serve no real purpose aside from political brownie points.
Actually, enriching the criminal element is one of the primary political purposes behind many policies...as well as cultivating the criminal element. The "system" thrives on crime, chaos, conflict and crises...and is itself run by an elite, organized criminal element.

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Couldn't agree with this more. It's to distract attention from their huge failures in other areas.
Well and also get credit for the natural decrease in smoking that is happening now. You know mainly because despite the evidence people are kind of intelligent and can weigh risk and reward all by themselves. And for many people the damage caused by cigs outweighs the rewards, but hey pass a law and when people look at the timeline your law looks like it had an effect.
I keep forgetting the term for intentionally passing a law to take credit for the natural ebbs and flow of trends. One example is passing very strict laws about crimes that just got past their peak.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
No problem there--we can just redefine what constitutes "quality." It's a little like redefining what constitutes "a female," with the notable absence of the irresistible urge to light oneself on fire when the social media debates are in full throttle.

run by an elite, organized criminal element.
Well, of course it is. Can't have any freelance competition from us lowly commoners! puffy

Durhamshire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 31, 2024
UK
I like certain blends very much, but I do have various baccies around the flat. All proper pipe baccy. But if it gets difficult I have a jar of cigar buts. I think I have 2 years of smokes left.

Reactions: AroEnglish