PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A new post on a repeated theme, what are your under appreciated pipe brands, not artisans please. Please, no major brands that you just feel are not admired enough; those are doing just fine with volume sales. These may be current brands or discontinued brands available as estates. A few of my picks are:

Bari is a wonderful long discontinued Danish factory pipe, very high quality, still appearing as an estate from time to time; I received mine new as a Christmas gift from my late wife's aunt back in the late 1970's.

Genod is a good French brand sold by SP and making house pipes for Iwan Ries, with good French quality and snappy tasteful French design.

Johs, Mogen Johansen, is an artisan who turns out pipes at a factory pipe rate and price. Although there was a complaint on Forums about the finish on one of his pipes, I have six (I think it is) and they have all worn well and smoke great. Apologies, Mogen is an artisan, but he markets like a small brand, so here he is.

Kaywoodie is a grand old name that is slow on resupplying inventory but keeps chugging along, with apparently one man doing the main manufacturing for Kaywoodie and accompanying Yello Bole and Medico brands. Some of these pipes are remarkable, with thin chamber walls that insulate as well as much thicker ones on other brands.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Of the Yello-Bole sub-brand of Kaywoodie, I like the Checker series best. You have to like the folk carving, but I find it quite pleasing. sable, I always look at Brebbia on your recommendation; I have their pipe tool.

Reactions: JOHN72

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
A new post on a repeated theme, what are your under appreciated pipe brands, not artisans please. Please, no major brands that you just feel are not admired enough; those are doing just fine with volume sales. These may be current brands or discontinued brands available as estates. A few of my picks are:

Bari is a wonderful long discontinued Danish factory pipe, very high quality, still appearing as an estate from time to time; I received mine new as a Christmas gift from my late wife's aunt back in the late 1970's.

Genod is a good French brand sold by SP and making house pipes for Iwan Ries, with good French quality and snappy tasteful French design.

Johs, Mogen Johansen, is an artisan who turns out pipes at a factory pipe rate and price. Although there was a complaint on Forums about the finish on one of his pipes, I have six (I think it is) and they have all worn well and smoke great. Apologies, Mogen is an artisan, but he markets like a small brand, so here he is.

Kaywoodie is a grand old name that is slow on resupplying inventory but keeps chugging along, with apparently one man doing the main manufacturing for Kaywoodie and accompanying Yello Bole and Medico brands. Some of these pipes are remarkable, with thin chamber walls that insulate as well as much thicker ones on other brands.
Have several Gold Band Royal Grain Weber, they made many shop brand pipes made when quality briar was common.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Reggie, I have several Edwards made Benton pipes, sold as Iwan Ries house pipes stamped with their name, and they are Algerian oil cured briar, well made and durable, good looking after thirty or forty years. In general, house pipes are usually good ones. They are moderately priced to capture the new pipe smoker, but they are also selected to be satisfying purchases so the customer will enjoy smoking and come back for more tobacco and maybe another pipe or ten. Today, Iwan Ries is sourcing its pipes from Genod, a good French brand, which was in fact their original source of house pipes back in pre-history. On Stanwell pricing, for a time, PC was selling them regularly, the brushed rusticated models, for $50 or less. That's when I bought mine. Since then, the prices have drifted upward, as people have gained confidence in the Italian production of the brand. I've found them good, open draw, tight fit and finish, handsome renditions of the classic shapes.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Brebbia was my reply the previous time this was asked, and my opinion on that remains unchanged, they make a very nice product, pricing seems to be getting a bit away from them lately though.

I will add Neerup this time around though, they dont really seem to garner much affection. But they are nothing short of excellent, and still reasonably priced.