PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Does this look unsmoked? I could swear I'm looking at rim char at the bottom, and the inside of the bowl looks like light smoking, as opposed to a bowl coating. It's a Peterson - I thought I had seen enough new ones to know what their bowl coating looks like, but maybe I'm wrong.

Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 11.17.03 AM.png

Reactions: briarcudgel

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
This is before it became an 'unsmoked' pipe on ebay. I guess people are restoring pipes, then selling them to ebay dealers who unwittingly sell them as 'unsmoked'?

pe681.JPG

briarcudgel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 6, 2016
I never liked the term “Unsmoked.“ New has to be new, but unsmoked gets into a grey area. You may want to message the seller. I think there is either char or a bowl coating after it had been cleaned. I know it is difficult to get a photo down to the bottom of the bowl with any clarity.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Does this look unsmoked? I could swear I'm looking at rim char at the bottom, and the inside of the bowl looks like light smoking, as opposed to a bowl coating. It's a Peterson - I thought I had seen enough new ones to know what their bowl coating looks like, but maybe I'm wrong.

View attachment 155606
the coating sounds like it's a work in progress and not evenly applied. It was much lighter in my system then in my churchwarden. In fact the churchwarden kind of sucked for the first ten smokes the system really just caked more evenly but smoked otherwise like a new pipe.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Looks like the bowl has be lightly charred. And I've said this a zilliion times, one buy from guys who you can trust. When you buy from joe-fly-by-night you get what you deserve.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I just took a look at the "unsmoked" version—he needs to stop with the wax and buffing wheel.

It now has a chip out of the front, so there may have been some work done to get the front of the rim to look unsmoked. An unsmoked Peterson without at least one rim chip would be less believable.

I'm a Peterson collector, but can deal with reality.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I was surprised to see the chip. I'd like to think he's scrupulous, but, now I wonder. I've bought pipes from him, but, I feel he goes way overboard with the polishing and buffing.

I love the grain on that pipe, but, wouldn't want it with the chunk missing. In the earlier state you showed, I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Unless it has some defect, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. That's the way I feel when I get a new pipe listed as having a Vulcanite stem when I can see, right out of the package, that it is acrylic. The two I have received are small and light weight, so it makes no salient difference to me, except for the insult of being misinformed. I think some of these are written up by neophytes who really don't know the difference. If you got a fair price, I think the pipe will serve you well.