PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank

Lurker
Oct 17, 2011
Although I like to collect vintage Kaywoodies, I only buy something which I intend to smoke. In the past, I've been fortunate enough to obtain a pre-1936 unsmoked Chinrester, and a circa1947 Ninety-Fiver, also unsmoked. Since I had no intention of owning a museum quality collection wherein everything is in pristine condition and sitting on a shelf to be seen, I decided to sell those pipes. I didn't have the heart to smoke them, knowing there might be a die-hard collector who would appreciate these vintage pipes as unsmoked, collector pieces. Since I acquired those pipes for good prices, I was able to make a decent profit on them as well.
So fast-forward to today. I've been wanting to acquire a Kaywoodie Gale, and I don't see them for sale very often. In fact, I've only seen two on eBay since I've been collecting pipes, and neither were in great condition. Recently, however, I've managed to find one online for only $55, and it looked to be in good conditions from the photos. It just arrived today, and I was surprised to find that it's in unsmoked, pristine condition.Well, I've really been wanting one of these, and this is the one time I'm going to keep the pipe AND smoke it. I'm sure there may be a Kaywoodie collector out there cringing because this pipe has survived this long in mint condition, but I doubt I'll ever get a chance to find another Gale model in good condition, so I'm going to be the one to break in this 70+ year old pipe for the first time.
So how many of you have been fortunate enough to find vintage, unsmoked, collector quality pipes at a good price? Did you keep them and smoke them, save them for your museum-quality collection, or sell them for a profit?

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have never been fortunate enough to acquire a pipe that met all four of your criteria, lol. The unsmoked pipes I have acquired are 80s/90s vintage, and low end. I found a Barling Guinea Grain in an antique shop, got it at a fair price, but even unsmoked it is a transition pipe and not very desirable for collectors, though I think it is a good looking straight grain. Pipes are for smoking! I revel in the enjoyment of breaking in a "new" old pipe, and have never sold a pipe. If I managed to find that vintage, unsmoked, collector quality pipe at a good price, it would not be unsmoked for long, and would be the pride of my collection anyway.

I mostly collect Edwards Skipper series pipes, Petersons, and have a goal of having one pipe from every old school pipe manufacturer.

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
Idon't collect high end pipes but i do have 3 unsmoked mastercrafts in the boxs from the 50's and a few very nice grabows from the 50's -70's.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Lonestar sold me an unsmoked Grabow Viscount Adjustomatic.
It is no longer unsmoked.
That was an older pipe too. Originally it had a label folded up in the bowl talking about the "New Ajustomatic" , so its about as old as that feature is. I still havent come across that tag for you Porta.

Personally, I have no problem collecting those pipes and not smoking them, but I dont have a problem smoking them either.

Sure the next generations will have a harder time finding the cool stuff we have available now, but thats the way it always is. Just means in 50 more years, those few unsmoked pipes still around will be worth even more.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Just means in 50 more years, those few unsmoked pipes still around will be worth even more.
And they will be thrilled to find that unsmoked 50 year old Stanwell. :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.