PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

rokerdepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
www.ericstendal.com
On the 11 July 2006 I was in Vancouver and was privileged to have been invited to attend the Vancouver Pipe Club meeting that evening. Here is the email description of that evening that I shared with my pipe smoking mentor (now deceased) who lived in Ottawa at the time. Of note, while composing the email, I was smoking a parfait of PS Navy Flake with Pipeworks & Wilke #10……

We met last night at R.J. Clarke's new location across from the Oakridge Shopping Centre. We met out back of the place and the door to the shop was kept open. That way, we could wander in and out. He closed the store at six (usual time) so after that, we were able to roam around a bit more freely. I think he misses the old location (I sure do). The new one is nothing like the old one. The store next door is being sold, and I think he's bought it or something so there will be an expansion in the works later on. I do have pictures, and they are going to be attached to the message here for you.

The guys are great. I met Jagsdriver and Stephen Downie, Charles, Steve, Bas and others...a great time. We sat around on lawn chairs. I'm glad I happened to have mine stashed in my trunk! Came in handy.

Charles came with a neat box or two of stuff. One was a jar of Druquer & Sons "Moonshine" blend which was over 18 yrs old. He also had C&D make up a mimic blend of it specifically for the Vancouver Pipe Club. It's a burley blend with some light, very light, whiskey flavouring added. Of course, C&D doesn't use goop, so it should be a nice blend. The tins were being sold for $20.00 for 50g. They're in a C&D 50g tin and they have "Vancouver Pipe Club" stamped on the side of them. They're calling it "Craig's Blend". I wish you could have smelled the original mixture of "Moonshine", it was simply scrumptious. Well, at least you'll have a tin of the mimic stuff...that's right....this tin I bought is for 'ol Dougie! It could probably use some aging, but it'll be really nice I think.

The pipes they were smoking were quite nice. Lots of Stanwells, a Peterson, a Hedegaard (sp?), a Downie pipe, a Brigham (mine, actually). Bas had a Stanwell that was shaped like a Mexican sombrero or something, really unique. Oh, and a few Dunhill pipes too. They like my Tom Dunn Nording and my new Brigham with the coloured stem, "I've never seen a Brigham with a stem like that....where'd you get it?" I had several fellas ask me....I KNEW it was unique!! Stephen commented on it too, and he liked it a lot. Couldn't believe it was only $85.00!!

Their club is quite organized. There's a sign-in sheet and guests must be sponsored to attend by another member. Each member receives a numbered membership card too. In fact, it's similar to the Grand Assembly of Northern Pipe Smokers..... :) Their club details are on their website. I told them a bit about the blending night you guys had, they thought that that sounded like a great idea. They're going to be having a 'tasting' party in August or October or something.

On the whole, they buy their tobacco from the US. Pipes and Pleasures or 4Noggins are the two they like most. The tax is high here. I spoke with Richard [the retail owner of RJ Clarke’s] about the tax and he just hates it. He's a realist and knows that many folks order their stuff from the US, but his hands are tied. Many guys buy a few tins now and again from him out of loyalty to him and his efforts to run a business that is dying. I asked Richard about the prices of his tobacco and he said that it's going to be changing. He wants to standardize the pricing more, "after all," he said, "it's just tax anyway." I plan to go back and get some prices on particular blends for you, don't worry. It was too busy yesterday. I'll buy a tin from him today too.

Of interest, Richard had some pipes on hand that were marked "R.J. Clarke" made of Algerian briar that were really, really nice. I'll try and get some pictures of them for you today. They're going for $225.00 a piece. He also has three other pipes of similar history. Again, I'll get the details for you today and send photos.

My parfait is breaking into the PS part now...mmmm...delicious...

IMG_0030.jpeg

Attached are some photos of that evening.

Attachments

• IMG_0035.jpeg
    IMG_0035.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0038.jpeg
    IMG_0038.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0037.jpeg
    IMG_0037.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0032.jpeg
    IMG_0032.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0026_edited.jpeg
    IMG_0026_edited.jpeg
    56.6 KB · Views: 11

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Where was the original location? And do you know when this location closed?

I’ve only been to this one and it was brutal as a college kid to go in and pay $50 for a tin in the early 2010s. I was an idiot and tried to smell through the tin to figure out what I liked. Settled on Old Dublin which was a tad strong in hindsight as a beginner but it did start my love for Englishes.

I wish I had known about the club when I lived there. It would've been great to get some instruction when starting out. I know they still meet and I do hope to attend one of their meetings eventually.

rokerdepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
www.ericstendal.com
I first met Richard at the R.J. Clarke’s location when it was in Gastown in downtown Vancouver. That shop closed down around the year 2000, and he moved to Cambie Street out in Richmond. That’s where the photo above was taken.

Then, the city decided to dig up the whole street down Cambie to make way for the new Skytrain tunnels that were being built there. It was a real mess for many years.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I first met Richard at the R.J. Clarke’s location when it was in Gastown in downtown Vancouver. That shop closed down around the year 2000, and he moved to Cambie Street out in Richmond. That’s where the photo above was taken.

Then, the city decided to dig up the whole street down Cambie to make way for the new Skytrain tunnels that were being built there. It was a real mess for many years.
Yeah I remember when they did that. I can’t imagine how awful that was for business.

Reactions: BrightDarkEyes