VaPer or VaBur?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ok... the process of fermenting perique turns the nicotine in it into more complex molecules, so there is very little nicotine in perique, however, the new molecules are known to increase the absorption of nicotine in the tobacco it is blended with.
Virginias actually have a shitload of nicotine, however the acidity prevents it from being absorbed well through your sinuses and small capillaries of your mouth. When inhaled it is easily absorbed into the lungs, which is why it is mostly used in cigarettes. When you add perique to Virginias, they become a hefty 6-7 one a 1-10 scale. However, burley and perique tends to go off the scales (or not), depending on whether the burley is a heavy nic burley. Burley can be light in nicotine to drenched with it. There are many more varieties of burley, so that depends on the strains uses and the curing of those strains.

I hope that helps.

KruegerFlap

Might Stick Around
Dec 3, 2021
Ohio
I have to agree with cigrmaster, both VaPers and VaBurs are right up my alley for different reasons; VaPers when I want a sweet and spicy smoke and VaBurs when I want a smoke with some deeper, bolder flavors but balanced with maybe a little sweetness. So to make a long story short I agree with the OP's assessment of the flavor profiles of each.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
when you just want it all man

Virginia/Burley/Perique (VaBurPer):
C&D Old Joe Krantz
HU Edward G
McConnell Scottish Cake
Peretti's No. 8 Sliced
Rattray Hal o' the Wynd
Reiner's Blend 71 aka Long Golden Flake
Watch City Slices

copied from the gold standard list 2018

originalnutcracker

Can't Leave
Feb 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Ok... the process of fermenting perique turns the nicotine in it into more complex molecules, so there is very little nicotine in perique, however, the new molecules are known to increase the absorption of nicotine in the tobacco it is blended with.
Virginias actually have a shitload of nicotine, however the acidity prevents it from being absorbed well through your sinuses and small capillaries of your mouth. When inhaled it is easily absorbed into the lungs, which is why it is mostly used in cigarettes. When you add perique to Virginias, they become a hefty 6-7 one a 1-10 scale. However, burley and perique tends to go off the scales (or not), depending on whether the burley is a heavy nic burley. Burley can be light in nicotine to drenched with it. There are many more varieties of burley, so that depends on the strains uses and the curing of those strains.

I hope that helps.
I love a scientific explanation, especially when it lines up with my own confirmation bias on a subject!

Thank you - I didn’t know about the pH thing, but it offers an explanation as to why the tobaccos change so much when you add Perique! It’s definitely more than the “sum of the parts “

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida

C&D Old Joe Krantz
HU Edward G
McConnell Scottish Cake
Peretti's No. 8 Sliced
Rattray Hal o' the Wynd
Watch City Slices

Interesting list. I don't have one in my cellar and the only ones I have tried were Hal o The Wynd and Reiners Long Golden.

I tried Hal over 18-20 years ago and it bit the shit out of my tongue as did all Rattray Virginia's. I then tried the Reiners 2 times with a decade between each time and both times I could not get past that funky white burley flavor. I really wanted to like it as it is one of the prettiest flakes out there but that burley just put me off. Didn't matter how long I aged it I couldn't enjoy it.

Reactions: KruegerFlap

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ

C&D Old Joe Krantz
HU Edward G
McConnell Scottish Cake
Peretti's No. 8 Sliced
Rattray Hal o' the Wynd
Watch City Slices

You might add C&D Three Friars to the list!

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
It’s from the tobacco hall of fame list which has entries from all categories aro onward I can’t add to it , but I’ll check out 3 friars as you gotta catch em all
It was supposed to be some kind of tribute to Three Nuns, but most find it quite different, as do I. It has a slightly rough edge to it, but I find it to be a great codger blend if sipped. Inexpensive and available in bulk!

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Interesting list. I don't have one in my cellar and the only ones I have tried were Hal o The Wynd and Reiners Long Golden.

I tried Hal over 18-20 years ago and it bit the shit out of my tongue as did all Rattray Virginia's. I then tried the Reiners 2 times with a decade between each time and both times I could not get past that funky white burley flavor. I really wanted to like it as it is one of the prettiest flakes out there but that burley just put me off. Didn't matter how long I aged it I couldn't enjoy it.
Of those I’ve tried the easiest to just pack and go and not worry about fuss or bite has gotta be Old Joe Krantz , helps that it’s packed with Vitamin N , can be an all day on the go

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
It was supposed to be some kind of tribute to Three Nuns, but most find it quite different, as do I. It has a slightly rough edge to it, but I find it to be a great codger blend if sipped. Inexpensive and available in bulk!
I found MacBarren dark twist and the “ new”
Three nuns to be quite bitey but didn’t allow much dry time C&D stuff seems to be more forgiving at least for me …