PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I've been giving some more heavily flavored aromatics a go lately, and Villiger Tropical Export was the one I chose to open this week. I purchased the pouch at SPC about eight months ago and promptly heat sealed the pouch in mylar to keep it fresh, as I always do. This one was thrown into my cart both as a curiosity and to hit the free shipping threshold. Could a tropical fruit candy aromatic be any good? Will it just be weird? For about $5, I decided to find out.

The pouch note of the blend is the typical vanilla chapstick scent of a heavy aro with a distinctly fruity scent which does smell like tropical fruit candy. The vanilla is somewhat dominant. Overall, the scent is sweet, but slightly musty. The medium ribbon is moist, but not excessively wet and goopy. I smoked it with no dry time in an Algerian briar billiard with a roomy chamber (about 20x40mm); my designated pipe for fruity aromatics.

The blend lights fairly easily with a cool and consistent burn. It didn't require too many relights. On the palate, the flavor alternates between creamy vanilla and somewhat funky tropical fruit, reminiscent of papaya or mango. Occasionally, some tart citrus from the tobacco, likely the Virginia, comes through, but the topping dominates the experience. The blend treated my tongue well and stayed cool throughout.

If the idea of a tropical candy aromatic sounds appealing to you, I'd say that this is worth a try. Personally, after three bowls of this blend, I'd say that the topping did not appeal to me much. I will probably finish the pouch, but doubt that I will repurchase this one. However, I liked how easy it was to smoke, and I'll probably be looking at the other pouch offerings from Villiger.

2.5 out of 4 stars
villiger_te.jpg
20231204_183849.jpg

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
The only other pipe smoker I know of here in Ocala, FL primarily smokes peach flavored aromatic blends from the local vape/tobacco shop. When I told him that I was smoking a Virginia blend he said “What’s that?” To each their own. I’m not much for aromatics these day. Nice review.

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
I was wondering about their pouches and if they are any good. I’ve been smoking their honey flavored tipped cigarillos lately and I really like them.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
I've not found but maybe a handful of pipesmokers outside of pipe clubs and here that know what a Virginia or even what latakia is.
That’s wild to me. How can one care so little about the details of something as personal as pipe smoking? I’m not judging, I just can’t relate to that.

Reactions: yanoJL

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
That is a question for the largest percentage of pipesmokers. Most people buy their aromatic, go home to their one to two pipes and smoke in front of the TV, without a care in the world for other pipesmokers.
You know, that doesn't sound half bad, honestly. I like nerding out about tobacco, but sometimes simple enjoyment is best.
With most of my hobbies, I start out wanting to try anything and everything, but eventually just settle on a handful of reliable favorites to keep around. Villiger Tropical will not be one of these.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Something about those bags always seem like a turn off to me.
Some pouch blends are good enough that they could be sold in a tin, and I bet they'd be wildly popular if tinned. +1 on the Amphora blends, particularly the Virginia and Kentucky. Sail Aromatic is also a great blend that comes in a pouch. The Missouri Meerschaum pouches I've tried are pretty good, too. Peterson had some pretty good stuff in pouches for a while, like Wild Atlantic and Irish Dew, but those seem to have disappeared.

The thing that really sucks about pouches is that the tobacco doesn't have the shelf life that tinned blends do. They can dry out and get stale after a year or more sitting on a shelf.

Ash Cooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2023
Greenville, SC
www.instagram.com
Some pouch blends are good enough that they could be sold in a tin, and I bet they'd be wildly popular if tinned. +1 on the Amphora blends, particularly the Virginia and Kentucky. Sail Aromatic is also a great blend that comes in a pouch. The Missouri Meerschaum pouches I've tried are pretty good, too. Peterson had some pretty good stuff in pouches for a while, like Wild Atlantic and Irish Dew, but those seem to have disappeared.

The thing that really sucks about pouches is that the tobacco doesn't have the shelf life that tinned blends do. They can dry out and get stale after a year or more sitting on a shelf.
Yeah I have a rather large cellar and I’ am working through much older stuff from 2014 now. Pouches wouldn’t last. But I’m sure there is some really good stuff.