PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I have posted here and there about my recent vintage lighter obsession. Here are the keepers (below). I now have the ability to restore the old Ronson butane lighters (complicated), Nimrods (pretty easy), and Beattie Jet Lighters (somewhere in between). I purchased way too many, but in the process found some favorites that I use regularly;

Nimrod Commander:

IMG_2804.jpeg

Beattie Jet Lighter:

IMG_2806.jpegIMG_2805.jpeg

Ronson Varaflame:

IMG_2802.jpeg

1960s-70s Soviet Union Made Lighters (imported from Ukraine):

IMG_2801.jpeg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Those are pretty cool! I've thought about diving into the vintage lighter world a time or two. When you do work on them, do you also replace seals and stuff? I'm curious how long the fluid stays in those old workhorses!

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Those are pretty cool! I've thought about diving into the vintage lighter world a time or two. When you do work on them, do you also replace seals and stuff? I'm curious how long the fluid stays in those old workhorses!

Yes... I replace seals, valves. That is specifically related to the Ronson butane lighters. The Ronson butane lighters I have (and I did fully restore them) hold fluid for a very long time. The Beattie Jet and the Nimrod lighters are fluid (non-butane) and so evaporation is an issue over time, but they do fine IMHO. The Soviet lighters are quirky... the least practical, but I still love them.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yes... I replace seals, valves. That is specifically related to the Ronson butane lighters. The Ronson butane lighters I have (and I did fully restore them) hold fluid for a very long time. The Beattie Jet and the Nimrod lighters are fluid (non-butane) and so evaporation is an issue over time, but they do fine IMHO. The Soviet lighters are quirky... the least practical, but I still love them.
You'll have to keep adding to this thread when you get more!

Reactions: Tate

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
That's a good looking lineup. A Beattie, a Nimrod, and a Bowers all NOS purchases are my most used lighters. The Beattie easily outclasses every lighter I've ever owned.

View attachment 262958

The Beattie is also my favorite... the engineering of the Beattie is mind-blowing, given it is mid-Century (or even a bit earlier). However, if I don't keep the wick very short it's pretty much a flamethrower LOL.