PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
My least favorite part part of this pipe smoking thing is filling the pipe.Recently I've been thinking that since volcano style pipes have deeper bowls they should hold more tobacco and have to be filled less often.I'm wondering though if they're hard to keep lit..Any opinions here on Volcanos?

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
Volcano it's only a shape,diameter and deep of the bowl bore depends on carving process.No one volcano can be similar to another volcano

Maurizio

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I don't believe that Volcano shaped pipes are any different than others.

My Cavicchi is what I would call a average sized bowl, and my TRG is actually quite small.

Here are my Volcanos:

I posted the Cavicchis to provide some scale.

cavicchibros-1-450x600.jpg

trg-white-ringed-volcano.png

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Maurizio is right but the answer to your question is no, no problem keeping alight, I have many freehand pipes with deep narrow tapered bowls and they all smoke fine, most are straight grained plataux topped, I love them as much as a I love Petersons.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Bowl size might be what you need, as the bigger the bowl, the more tobacco you can put in it. But bigger bowls have their drawbacks too. I bet you want a chimney or stack. Those are taller than the typical billiard and hold more tobacco.

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
i found out that a large bowl smokes the cleanest, the driest of any pipe i have ever smoked. tobacco burns to a clean ash. you do have to keep a slow draft on it because of the large bore. this one is a charatans special with a 1" bore and 1 1/4 deep.
069-1.jpg

066.jpg

067-1.jpg

Edit: Fixed your pic. L

Status
Not open for further replies.