PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PuffyPines

Lurker
Mar 1, 2023
Hey everyone!
I started smoking a pipe years ago when I was probably around 18 years old. My grandfather always had a pipe with him, and I absolutely loved the smell. When I first started smoking, I believe I was smoking Captain Black "Original" in the white pouch...but now it seems to have changed quite a bit?

I remember a "Zesty" sweet flavor that came through onto my tongue. It reminded me of a sweet candy that had a slight citrusy flavor/feeling to it. It made my mouth water like crazy. But when I smoke captain black now, it just seems bland and dull - like a sweet "hot air". Not much flavor. The aroma is still wonderful though. I am wondering if maybe Captain Black changed their mixture? Or was it possibly a different captain black - Royal, Smooth, etc? Or maybe my tastebuds have changed since then? I don't smoke that often - I would say maybe once every week to every other week. There was a point it was everyday there for about a year, but I slowly came down.

Does anyone recommend something similar to the taste I am looking for?

Reactions: KruegerFlap

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Try asking your relatives if they remember what your grandpa smoked, you'll want to know just for nostalgic value.

Capt Black White (Lane RLP-6 in bulk) is the same burley and molasses it's always been for the 40 years I've known it. Try Lane 1-Q (the Royal in bulk), it's been the best selling pipe tobacco in the US for decades. It's a burley with carmel and a little apple.

As far as citrus in an OTC blend, try Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, if I remember it has an orange liqueur flavoring.

Reactions: yanoJL

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know how it matches up with CB of the past, but I second the motion on Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic which is burley based, with Virginia as a condiment and flavored with three liqueurs.

It's not quite as fancy as the liqueurs make it sound, but I think it is among the best pouch/tub tobaccos.

Reactions: minerLuke