PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I love many films that I couldn’t watch over and over again. I have seen Singing in the Rain many times. I wonder if many of us have seen The Wizard of Oz more than these other films we’re listing? That used to be on TV a lot. I’ve seen some Woody Allen Movies a dozen times and some Marx Brothers half a dozen.

Reactions: JOHN72

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Ozu is a genius!
Floating Weeds has that wonderful see in the rain, where the two characters argue across a small street (If I. Remembering). The one that really gets me is Late Spring (Banshun). The daughter who just wants to stay living with her father but the nosy aunt marries her off.

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Floating Weeds has that wonderful see in the rain, where the two characters argue across a small street (If I. Remembering). The one that really gets me is Late Spring (Banshun). The daughter who just wants to stay living with her father but the nosy aunt marries her off.
Ozu celebrated "ordinary" life, and his choice of camera angles sometimes lets one feel like a hidden observer. Very careful composition, very economical use of the camera, no "look at me" sort of camera stuff.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I didn't realise you could only pick one. If I have to pick one then it has to be the greatest movie ever made and that would be The Room.
I had never heard of this, so didn't realize you were being sarcastic lol. Or maybe you weren't...because after reading some of the user reviews on imdb it is apparently considered the greatest worst movie ever made.

I don't plan on subjecting myself to it, but it was entertaining reading the reviews LOL.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Big Trouble in Little China.

But there’s a lot of films you guys are calling out that are way before my time. A lot of these I think shall be my summer viewing, especially now that I cancelled Prime and Netflix kicked me off the account I was using. Fortunately a lot of the old time classics are free on various Roku channels.

I appreciate all the ideas for sure

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Ok, if we're not going to stick to one movie, I'll add a few more.

The Dirty Dozen
The Train (Burt Lancaster)
Paint Your Wagon
Les Miserables (2012) Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe.
Fiddler on the Roof.
Psycho (original 1960)
Midnight Cowboy

As a child I loved all of the wacky Jerry Lewis movies (1960's). I haven't seen one in years.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I had never heard of this, so didn't realize you were being sarcastic lol. Or maybe you weren't...because after reading some of the user reviews on imdb it is apparently considered the greatest worst movie ever made.

I don't plan on subjecting myself to it, but it was entertaining reading the reviews LOL.

You should watch it, it's absolutely brilliant in its awfulness. Then watch the biopic about the making of The Room called The Disaster Artist starring Seth Rogan and James Franco.

Reactions: brian64

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Ozu celebrated "ordinary" life, and his choice of camera angles sometimes lets one feel like a hidden observer. Very careful composition, very economical use of the camera, no "look at me" sort of camera stuff.
It’s the same reason I love some of Eric Rohmer’s films, which I’ve also rewatched a bit. Though Ozu was, of course, a much greater master by comparison. Subtlety! A feeling we know but can’t quite explain well enough in words; a moment, etc. yes. People accuse him of making the same film over and over but I much prefer him to Kurosawa. Satyajit Ray is another maybe on that level: a film like Panther Panjali: the rhythms of ordinary life. Except Ozu doesn’t give us some great moment of high drama. I love how he finds that hidden feeling that we don’t say. A moment that passes that means a lot in hindsight. We didn’t see how much it meant.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It’s the same reason I love some of Eric Rohmer’s films, which I’ve also rewatched a bit. Though Ozu was, of course, a much greater master by comparison. Subtlety! A feeling we know but can’t quite explain well enough in words; a moment, etc. yes. People accuse him of making the same film over and over but I much prefer him to Kurosawa. Satyajit Ray is another maybe on that level: a film like Panther Panjali: the rhythms of ordinary life. Except Ozu doesn’t give us some great moment of high drama. I love how he finds that hidden feeling that we don’t say. A moment that passes that means a lot in hindsight. We didn’t see how much it meant.
Exactly. I don't prefer Ozu to Kurosawa. They are offering different experiences.

Ikiru is one of my favorite Kurosawa films. Not a Samurai in sight, just a wonderful story of spiritual redemption, told in retrospect by his colleagues, who are utterly mystified by what happened. We, the viewer, understand, but the other characters do not. And the scene of him on the swing, in the park he helped bring into being, is one of the most memorable and transcendent moments I've experienced watching a film.

Ozu elevates the mundane in a unique way. Ordinary existence is quietly heroic.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Exactly. I don't prefer Ozu to Kurosawa. They are offering different experiences.

Ikiru is one of my favorite Kurosawa films. Not a Samurai in sight, just a wonderful story of spiritual redemption, told in retrospect by his colleagues, who are utterly mystified by what happened. We, the viewer, understand, but the other characters do not. And the scene of him on the swing, in the park he helped bring into being, is one of the most memorable and transcendent moments I've experienced watching a film.

I had the good fortune to meet Akira Kurosawa’s longtime assistant, Teruyo Nogami, back in 2008. At one of the events I attended, during an interview, she did a hilarious, deep voiced impression of Takashi Shimura singing the song from Ikiru. It was priceless.

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan

I had the good fortune to meet Akira Kurosawa’s longtime assistant, Teruyo Nogami, back in 2008. At one of the events I attended, during an interview, she did a hilarious, deep voiced impression of Takashi Shimura singing the song from Ikiru. It was priceless.
Some of the Taiwanese films were interesting too, of a certain era. Edward Yang. I don’t know right now what’s on that level. Maybe the film Roma from a few years back.
Honestly, I’m a bit lost as to what’s happened to Japanese society since then. I’ve lived here for many years and there’s just not much reflection or creativity going on in the young people. They’re extremely literal-minded. It’s training. Rigorous training. I’m worried about my kids going through the system they have here because it really does strip away healthy mental development. Anyway.

Reactions: JOHN72

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Office Space
The Cable Guy
The Princess Bride
Shawshank Redemption
Most David Lynch films (but not all)
Wes Anderson films
A Christmas Story & Christmas Vacation (family tradition to watch during the holidays but I am getting sick of them but they are definitely classics)

(Many more but those were the first that came to mind)

I like watching mysteries several times too, I often find clever clues that I didn’t catch the first or second time around.

Reactions: scloyd and JOHN72

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan

I guess it’s big and grand vs. small. I’m appreciating the grand more lately. Lawrence of Arabia. Jon Ford films. Maybe it’s just the the small things don’t get so much attention. But, when you see a film like Lawrence of Arabia, grand if there ever was grand, you wonder just what people are up to these days. Like, go back to the drawing board! - is what I want to tell filmmakers. It’s so inspiring. Kurosawa had grand inspirations. I rewatched Stagecoach recently too. People know Leone coped Kurosawa. But Kurosawa certainly loved Ford. What’s a really grand film from the last ten years? One that would be watched again and again?