PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Number of seconds in one year

31557600 seconds

That’s thirty one million five hundred thousand, rounded off.

Every ten years, my LeGant watch I bought in 1979 and have religiously replaced the battery when the second hand jumps two seconds has a movement that has suddenly jerked the second hand forward three hundred fifteen million seconds.

In 45 years it’s ticked nearly a billion and half times.

Get this:

My quartz watch beats the hand forward one time a second, and Seiko beats 6 times a second and a standard Swiss watch beats 8 times a second. That’s why the second hand on a mechanical watch has a smother sweep.

There are Seikos still in daily service for 45 years that have beat about 9 billion times and Swiss watches that have beat 12 billion.

The quartz watches have far less strain because of no mainspring, and they do it without oil changes.

Reactions: PaulRVA

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I like watches but I have this wacky thing in my head that my wrists are knobby and they look funny on me. In reality they probably look just like everyone elses. Im retired. I dont care what time it is and it saves me money because Id probably collect them like pipes.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Today a $2 20 power monocle style loupe came in the mail.

IMG_7985.jpeg

I’ve owned a 10 power loupe in a little leather case for maybe thirty years, a handy little gadget to have.

IMG_7991.jpeg
But once you peep through the kind watchmakers use you are done, with pocket loupes.

IMG_7986.jpeg

I’m not good at playing Colonel Clink and keeping in a monocle using no hands, yet. I supppse after sons practice it gets easier.

But I ordered this $6 pair of double 20 power jeweler’s eyeglasses that have little lights.

IMG_7990.jpeg

Why people pay extra for higher finish on watches, is all for show.

If you get a real jeweler’s loupe, even a two dollar grade, it’s amazing how much better tiny details are done the more money you’ve paid to have a prettier watch.

Reactions: PaulRVA and ssjones

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
My AD has already received one of the New 2024 Tudor Black Bay 41mm Monochrome watches.
View attachment 302647
I had an opportunity to experience it on wrist. She said she expects to receive only two.
View attachment 302649
Making a comparison to my 14060 below, it’s a watch that can give the Submariner a run.
View attachment 302650
That Tudor looks awesome. I prefer the indices amd hand set. I have never been a big fan kf the Mercedes handset on a sub. I also feel the sub hands look a bit undersized. Would be interesting to see what a ceramic bezel insert would look like.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Why I love watches:

Rolex stats

Production output1.05 million pieces (2021)[1]
Revenue$13 billion (2021)[2]
OwnerHans Wilsdorf Foundation
Number of employees30,000

Subsidiary Tudor stats

HeadquartersGeneva
Switzerland
Production outputc. 200,000 (2015)[1]
Number of employees194 (2016)

My watchmaker friend John Martin just hated Rolex.

Not because they were bad watches, because they wouldn’t sell him parts. Martin would have a customer with a Rolex that needed a service, and the innards of a Rolex are all doing exactly the same thing as any other automatic watch. Martin knew how to service any watch, even high end minute repeaters.

(When Lake of the Ozarks country legend Lee Mace died in a tragic airplane accident when an experimental aircraft he was riding in struck a boat dock, it was John Martin who rescued Mace’s $30,000 minute repeater. He was a master watchmaker.)

Until the Black Bay, all modern Tudor watches used a modified ETA 2824 movement, the same as my Tissots. Until recent times Martin could buy parts for an ETA movement.

Today not only is a Black Bay made by the same manufacturer as Rolex it has an in house Tudor caliber.

When Martin was old enough for full Social Security and Medicare he retired to his farm. His watch shop is now a barber shop.

If you spend $9,000 or $4,000 on a Rolex product when it needs service you’ll have to have a Rolex technician service it. There’s nothing inside a Rolex or Tudor magical but each has more than a hundred parts and each tiny little part will have a part number.

The exact, same thing occurs between an Orient and Orient Star.

My $120 Bambio Orient and $340 Orient Star Classic were both made by Epson, part of the Seiko group.

If you own an Orient product then to keep it original it must be serviced by Orient.

But if you just want a good watch, the Seiko NH35 series can be inserted by anybody in a simple Orient on their back deck. If it has complications, then it needs sent to Orient.

And if you buy a two dollar grade watchmaker’s loupe, the differences between an Orient and Orient Star are real, apparent, and obvious.

Spend mo’ money, get mo’ better!.:)

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The most popular watch in the history of the world costs about $20 retail.

IMG_7997.jpeg

There is only one way to make a digital quartz liquid crystal display watch work, using a module. The quality of the module can vary, and the case, display, and the band.

Would you like one a lot fancier, than $20?

IMG_7995.jpeg

Casio now makes luxury LCD watches priced like a Tudor.
IMG_8001.jpeg

IMG_7996.jpeg

My top Casio watch is the $170 grade M-TG

IMG_7999.jpeg

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Happy Birthday to Me!!!.:)

The total tab delivered for this watch was $45.

I couldn’t make the fancy boxes and package it, and deliver them UPS for $45, forget about the watch.:)

How does Invicta do this?

This looks like a $500 watch.

It is a modern day version of a classic 1930’s gold men’s watch, not a copy of anything.

IMG_8121.jpegIMG_8122.jpegIMG_8123.jpegIMG_8124.jpegIMG_8125.jpegIMG_8126.jpegIMG_8128.jpegIMG_8129.jpeg
IMG_8130.jpeg