PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri

Because I can buy an $80 Invicta homage of a Daytona.

IMG_7839.jpeg

Or a $360 Tissot homage

IMG_7840.jpeg

Or spend another thousand and buy a Swiss automatic homage

IMG_7841.jpegIf I could find a retailer who would sell me a genuine Daytons for $14,000 I could about double my investment on the first day.

IMG_7837.jpegIMG_7838.jpeg

But if you beat up a Daytona it’s not worth $26,000.

Better buy an Orient replica to actually wear:

IMG_7842.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: PaulRVA

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
Because I can buy an $80 Invicta homage of a Daytona.

View attachment 301527

Or a $360 Tissot homage

View attachment 301530

Or spend another thousand and buy a Swiss automatic homage

View attachment 301531If I could find a retailer who would sell me a genuine Daytons for $14,000 I could about double my investment on the first day.

View attachment 301533View attachment 301534

But if you beat up a Daytona it’s not worth $26,000.

Better buy an Orient replica to actually wear:

View attachment 301536
Of all the watches I have and or had Rolex has been the most dependable then my Seiko Automatics then Tudor and Lastly Tag Heuer.
Omega has been the worst with broken mainsprings, over-spun issues and shock problems.
If I was to buy another watch which I don't need , it would be another Rolex probably a Sub no date. If someone wants it for 26k it’s theirs!
If someone beats up a Rolex Daytona they need a bullet in the face for doing it. I also come from the Military mentality of a Rolex can charter a flight buy a gun, smuggle or barter for anything you need when your in trouble.
Insurance policy so to speak.

Last edited:
Reactions: Briar Lee

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
Rolex is increasing production to 1.3 million watches. It may still not meet worldwide demand.
I haven’t bought one since the market went from buy what you want to fake models on display if your lucky to have any on display at all. It’s gotten absurdly ridiculous.
Tudor has been a lil easier but I also have a friend who owns one of the largest Jewelry Company's in the Mid Atlantic. The days of the 1500.00 Submariner are long gone😢

Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Rolex is increasing production to 1.3 million watches. It may still not meet worldwide demand.

Paul Neuman’s wife paid $250 in 1969 for his Daytona. By the inflation calculators that’s $2,100 today.

Longines markets a swiss made automatic three dial chronograph at $2,300.

IMG_7843.jpeg

And a quartz Swiss Made 3 dial chronograph by Wenger is still $250.

IMG_7844.jpeg

Thus puts Rolex in a spot.

The world is awash with three dial chronographs and all the extra ones they sell compete with old ones they’ve already sold.

And we don’t know how many Daytonas get sold to people who already have Daytonas, and see them as investments.

And the counterfeits today are so close as to require an expert with a microscope to sort them out.

A Rolex as SHTF insurance isn’t a good investment if the entire world assumes a Daytona is a fake until proven otherwise.

Reactions: Searock Fan

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri

I saw that headline a few years ago.

I do happen to own a 1988 Seiko Sports 100 Chronograph I paid $200 for in a jewelry shop on some little Caribbean island and my father in law was afraid it was a fake, which caused me to doubt it, too. When we returned he took it to a watchmaker who opened it and pronounced it not only genuine, but with a rare full enamel dial, not yet imported to the USA. It has jewels, a trimmer to regulate it, full fly back three dial 1/10 second chronograph, moon phase, and date.

IMG_7795.jpeg

I wore that watch every day, for years, had my name engraved on the back.

If was famous it might sell for a few million too, after I sleep to wake no more.:)

I can remember seeing Rolex lower tier watches for sale in 1988 in that jewelry shop for a little more than a thousand dollars, but I was afraid a Rolex might be a fake then.

A couple of months ago Jomashop had Invicta Speedway watches on sale for $62 and I bit.

IMG_7847.jpeg

It ain’t expensive to wear a Paul Newman watch, unless it’s a real one.:)

Last year I bought this $340 Orient Star Classic from Jomashop and I love it as much as I do Marxman pipes, and it’s prettier, too.

I do not know of any watch that gives more value than an Orient, and an Orient Star is like an Imperial instead of a mere Chrysler.

IMG_7845.jpegIMG_7846.jpeg

The value of an Orient Star Classic is it looks like an Orient Star Classic.

The movement in that is an all steel parts Orient made in house in a factory in Japan. It hacks, hand winds, and shows power reserve.

After a year of settling in it’s about 9 seconds a day fast for weeks on end.

Every Saturday I reset it, back about a minute.

Last edited:

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Paul Neuman’s wife paid $250 in 1969 for his Daytona. By the inflation calculators that’s $2,100 today.

Longines markets a swiss made automatic three dial chronograph at $2,300.

View attachment 301559

And a quartz Swiss Made 3 dial chronograph by Wenger is still $250.

View attachment 301566

Thus puts Rolex in a spot.

The world is awash with three dial chronographs and all the extra ones they sell compete with old ones they’ve already sold.

And we don’t know how many Daytonas get sold to people who already have Daytonas, and see them as investments.

And the counterfeits today are so close as to require an expert with a microscope to sort them out.

A Rolex as SHTF insurance isn’t a good investment if the entire world assumes a Daytona is a fake until proven otherwise.
The biggest difference between a real and a fake is the price. puffy

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The biggest difference between a real and a fake is the price. puffy

When it takes an expert with a strong microscope to tell the differnce, that is very true.

But Rolex does have an advantage in they are a multi billion dollar company making a million geniune Rolex watches a year, and the counterfeiters have to first make and program machines to forge an exact copy of every tiny part of a Rolex, then duplicate the assembly and finishing. Rolex is extremely efficient at making Rolexes.

The super clone counterfeits might have a higher per unit cost of manufacture,,,,not the cheapest fakes,,,,the best fakes.

Whatever it costs Orient to manufacture their top line $3,430 list Sub tribute is likely a better comparison. Somebody somewhere always pays list price. This watch was intended to compete against a Tudor Black Bay.

IMG_7867.jpeg

IMG_7867.jpeg
I’d love to see an expert comparison with a Longines Hydro Quest

IMG_7855.jpeg

Last edited:

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
There’s a saying, “Buy Nice or Buy Twice.” It holds true.

If you want a Harley Davidson but buy something else, you’ll eventually sell that to obtain what you’ve wanted all along.

How many watch boxes are full of pricey homage and lower tier watches, bemoaning the cost of the Blancpain, Rolex or Cartier that you wanted?

If you add up all you’ve spent you could’ve owned several genuine Swiss watches.

You know, they don’t put trailer hitches on a hearse.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
There’s a saying, “Buy Nice or Buy Twice.” It holds true.

If you want a Harley Davidson but buy something else, you’ll eventually sell that to obtain what you’ve wanted all along.

How many watch boxes are full of pricey homage and lower tier watches, bemoaning the cost of the Blancpain, Rolex or Cartier that you wanted?

If you add up all you’ve spent you could’ve owned several genuine Swiss watches.

You know, they don’t put trailer hitches on a hearse.

Rolex has a similar market problem as Harley Davidson used to have.

Everybody wants a Harley. Nobody needs a Harley. A Harley lasts several lifetimes. And the Japanese make better motorcycles to use.

My 1993 Tudor has solid gold link spacers, solid gold dial, solid gold bezel, and the best quartz movement ETA ever specially made for Tudor. It is technically perfect.

IMG_7781.jpeg

I hardly ever wear it. If I did it would get all beat up.

Adjusted for inflation my Tudor Monarch cost then about what a Black Bay 58 would today.

But I’ve got my Rolex product. I don’t want two, to sit in a drawer.

I use a Japanese watch, every day.

The million Rolex watches a year that are made today will almost all look new in thirty years, and a hundred years.

But eventually everybody who wants a Rolex will have one.

When, is the question.

Reactions: Grangerous

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I have an Orient and it is a fine enough watch - it gets compliments whenever I am out and about. But it is a soulless watch.

It's a tool - a nice looking tool - but it is more machine than man. My 18k Longines solid gold watch and band is a piece of jewelry. But it still lacks a soul.

The quest for finding a watch that has a unique personality and bridges the gap between simple time keeping tool and something more than the sum of its parts is ongoing. If I had to choose one that met those requirements, it is my Mickey Mouse watch set in a gold face case with a Japanese Movement and a brown alligator leather band best fits that bill. And it gets lots of looks.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
If I had to choose one that met those requirements, it is my Mickey Mouse watch set in a gold face case with a Japanese Movement and a brown alligator leather band best fits that bill. And it gets lots of looks.
Yes. Exactly. And if you have kids, they’ll build fond memories and remember “Dad’s Watch.” It’ll be something they’ll cherish.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
There’s another saying, “Buy Once. Cry Once.”

If you want it, get it. If you need to save then save for it. If it takes a couple years to acquire something you really want, you deserve to have it.

Its far better than wasting money on a substitution that may never replace what you truly want.

Life isn’t some dress rehearsal. You only get one crack at this and none of us are getting out alive.

I’m such… an enabler 👊😎

Reactions: telescopes

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Some early cold Sunday morning in 1969 I woke up with my mother pleading with my father to go see Dr Robinson and his hands and face was burned and as red as a beet.

What he’d done, is as he was finishing his milking he opened his gallon can of kerosene to douse the last bit on the fire in his milk parlor. This exploded the can, and quick thinking he ran up to the front of the barn and jumped in the large water tank he had running with scalding hot water to clean up his equipment.

Since he was milking the hind cow, he went back and finshed milking her, washed up his equipment, and got on his suit and dressed to be ready to be the Superindent of the Humansville Christian Church.

Which included his Hamilton Thin O Matic, that’s sleeping inside a cedar box in my safe.

He stood up there, and said good morning!

I’m really so happy, to be up here greeting all of you.

Afterwards we went over to the drug store and he got a bottle of burn medicine. When Mama moved to town in 2001 I found it in the cupboard, almost full.

There was a time a Hamilton, was the hillbilly Rolex.

Xxxxx

This video captures 1,440 hours of work in six minutes, detailing the process from CAD design to manufacturing - from scratch, and nearly completely handmade using traditional watchmaking methods. For his first watch, Dr. Roysdon chose the style of the Hamilton 945 because the parts are a bit larger than other movements, e.g., the ETA 2824. Over 50 jigs and fixtures were made to build this watch. There are 122 hand-made pieces in the Model One, while the Inca-bloc jewels, hairspring, mainspring, springs inside the spring bars, front/back sapphire crystal were purchased.