PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
If I had to keep one watch it would be this one. If somebody did not own a watch and wanted one I’d recommend this one.

It is an Orient Star Classic, about $350 on sale.

It uses a decorated, high grade automatic Orient movement that is as accurate and reliable as any railroad grade pocket watch, mine gains 14 seconds a week forever and ever, I set it back once a month one minute.

The solid bracelet and case are high grade stainless polished just right, and it’s a domed pie pan with a flawless calendar.

You can pay more but not get much more watch than this:

IMG_6080.jpeg

For those that own a Bambino, these are a Bambino with a super deluxe solid bracelet and a lot fancier dial and a power reserve dial, with display back and decorated movement.

Worth the extra money, I think.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I’ve got a blue Orient Ray II that I’ll post a photo of eventually. I had said for the longest time that I would buy a blue Mako when they got ride of the double crowns. They finally did it but it somehow looked to not quite match the face so I ended up with the blue Ray II.

Question for you guys: Which of these two bracelets would look better with the Ray II?

Option A: The same look as the bracelet it came with

IMG_8409.jpeg

Option B: Something a bit beefier looking

IMG_8407.jpeg

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’ve got a blue Orient Ray II that I’ll post a photo of eventually. I had said for the longest time that I would buy a blue Mako when they got ride of the double crowns. They finally did it but it somehow looked to not quite match the face so I ended up with the blue Ray II.

Question for you guys: Which of these two bracelets would look better with the Ray II?

Option A: The same look as the bracelet it came with

View attachment 271172

Option B: Something a bit beefier looking

View attachment 271174

I own a Ray II. The beefier the bracelet the better.

Orient movements are IMO the best value in watches.

Some have ran now, unserviced, for decades.

The accuracy is about as good as any mechanical ever gets.

And for the price of a service you can buy another watch.

bobomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2023
Colombia
roberthunt.com
I own a Ray II. The beefier the bracelet the better.

Orient movements are IMO the best value in watches.

Some have ran now, unserviced, for decades.

The accuracy is about as good as any mechanical ever gets.

And for the price of a service you can buy another watch.
I couldn't agree more. An Orient was the first mechanical I ever bought.. the bumble bee diver. Not sure if they still sell it anymore. It's the best value, quality mechanical money can buy.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I’ve been buying Invicta 8926’s for about 20yrs. I get about 5yrs of hard use (usually a cracked crystal does them in) for under $100.
Stainless, automatic, 24 jewel display back, classic “submariner” look and feel.

Perhaps one day when I’m not working with heavy equipment, concrete, jackhammers, hot metal and such I will indulge in a “real” dive automatic but I’ve got a couple more of these nib still to burn through.
68B37681-4687-4A43-9F9C-1A5A8C32DF8A.jpeg

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
My most recent is a Tudor Black Bay GMT
With Stainless Bracelet - Nato Bracelet and compared to my Rolex Explorer 2 a Submariner and a Seiko Capt. Willard I guess watch out for watch on. I wear one of these 24-7 also utilize a Blancpain, Tag Heuer and an Omega Seamaster but the Tudor and Explorer get the most use. All automatics.
Im a diver so all dive models.
1813307A-F029-41F4-A920-1E1D4B95E9A1.jpeg5598DF44-97B6-4D55-AEE2-2C4743BD7E35.jpeg2ACEBFA7-AE88-41DB-8835-C0963F00B20A.jpegA76EB1E4-59FD-4F88-A01C-AD8FDC68B809.jpeg6BBE93AE-BC7B-45F9-8CED-2025C262E544.jpeg

Last edited:

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
With Stainless Bracelet - Nato Bracelet and compared to my Rolex Explorer 2 a Submariner and a Seiko Capt. Willard I guess watch out for watch on. I wear one of these 24-7 also utilize a Blancpain, Tag Heuer and an Omega Seamaster but the Tudor and Explorer get the most use. All automatics.
Im a diver so all dive models.
View attachment 274710View attachment 274711View attachment 274707View attachment 274708View attachment 274709
I understand Comrade Putin sports a Blancpain. Very Nice!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I have the Tudor Pelagos (black) and the Tudor Black Bay Chrono (with Breitling movement) and both are rock solid watches. The B/B Chrono is incredibly accurate only showing a slight deviation (about 1/3 second) after almost 3 solid weeks on the wrist.

Absolute top quality for not too much coin, that's what I like.

Jay.

• Love
Reactions: JOHN72 and PaulRVA

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
I have the Tudor Pelagos (black) and the Tudor Black Bay Chrono (with Breitling movement) and both are rock solid watches. The B/B Chrono is incredibly accurate only showing a slight deviation (about 1/3 second) after almost 3 solid weeks on the wrist.

Absolute top quality for not too much coin, that's what I like.

Jay.
Both great models.
The Pelagos and the Chrono now have almost a Cult following, and they should!

Reactions: mawnansmiff

sham

(theSHAMOO)
May 20, 2022
Charlotte, NC
1704388295901.jpeg
Boderry Voyager
Seiko NH35 movement, automatic with hand winding
Screw down crown
sapphire crystal
titanium case
removed the nato strap for leather

Watch is under $100. I'm convinced this is the best deal out there. I think it loses ~10 seconds a day, so I correct it every ~2 weeks