PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
My first Rolex the Navy gave me, as a civilian I still wore it, a friend asked me to weld up a brace underneath a bulldozer, took it off, laid it on the track, welded brace up, was given a cold beer, one led to another, watch forgotten, when bulldozer went off watch was history, In the Eightes, ESOP , EMPLOYEES STOCK OWNERSHIP program was phased out and we had to cash in, paid house off, wife said with the remaining money buy a Rolex for yourself you’ve earned it. Paid 1500$, now I believe it’s worth 8500$, but it’s not for sale, my boy gets it when I pass on. That’s the story!

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Yeh, hardcore collectors of mechanicals usually get into repair work for that reason. I wish less people collected Marlins. The price keeps going up up up.
I bet some are better than others. The person I used got his skills building instruments in the US Navy. He said he worked with some very good professionals.

There are things I enjoy that work with some age, but I don't want to thinker to get them to run and certainly not something I depend upon.

Thanks for the Marlin information. I'd never heard of them before. Funny that Casio also has models called Marlins.

I bet some are better than others. The person I used got his skills building instruments in the US Navy. He said he worked with some very good professionals.

There are things I enjoy that work with some age, but I don't want to thinker to get them to run and certainly not something I depend upon.

Thanks for the Marlin information. I'd never heard of them before. Funny that Casio also has models called Marlins.
Marlins were the sportsman watch of the day. The commercials gave us the phrase... "Timex, it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'."

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I told my wife last year, that my end goal is to get a Rolex. And she said ok. It'll be many years before I can afford one, but I WILL get one someday. Yours is a beauty!
My thoughts on Rolex come after having some serviced over the years. Happily, living within a lengthy driving distance to Dallas--with a bit of effort, I had the ability to take them there for required servicing. I don't know what regular servicing costs these days nor frequency (guessing somewhere between 2-6 years?), I grew tired of two things--the delicacy requiring frequent (for me) costly (to me) servicing ($500 a piece). I know all mechanical watches need servicing -- cleaning, lubrication, occasional recalibration, etc. But for me, Seiko (and others) divers do the trick without such regular and costly (to me) servicing. I find Rolexes beautiful and for me, Omegas a close second. But for these reasons above, I LOVE the Seiko (and others) divers! BTW--for a while I really liked Breitlings but that waned over time. I returned to my first love-Seiko divers and their many competitors' iterations.

Anyone else have a "thing" for Seiko divers? Especially the fairly recent re-issues of early models but with up to date, slight, modifications the original designs.

kindly
mike

Reactions: BlackSwampPiper

BlackSwampPiper

Might Stick Around
May 9, 2021
Ohio
My thoughts on Rolex come after having some serviced over the years. Happily, living within a lengthy driving distance to Dallas--with a bit of effort, I had the ability to take them there for required servicing. I don't know what regular servicing costs these days nor frequency (guessing somewhere between 2-6 years?), I grew tired of two things--the delicacy requiring frequent (for me) costly (to me) servicing ($500 a piece). I know all mechanical watches need servicing -- cleaning, lubrication, occasional recalibration, etc. But for me, Seiko (and others) divers do the trick without such regular and costly (to me) servicing. I find Rolexes beautiful and for me, Omegas a close second. But for these reasons above, I LOVE the Seiko (and others) divers! BTW--for a while I really liked Breitlings but that waned over time. I returned to my first love-Seiko divers and their many competitors' iterations.

Anyone else have a "thing" for Seiko divers? Especially the fairly recent re-issues of early models but with up to date, slight, modifications the original designs.

kindly
mike
I just had an Aragon with a Seiko movement checked out. It runs -1.0 seconds per day, so I’ll end up a minute late 2 months out…. Or 6 minutes late for Christmas dinner. Overall, I feel like Seiko just nailed it, like Acura or Lexus vs BMW, better at the high end, less costly, and more reliable. I have an SKX007, a turtle, a sumo, and a few non-Seikos with Seiko movements. That being said I’m counseling my father to buy a Seiko LX or a Submariner, sub for the investment, LX to hand down to me…. And someday I’ll have a Sub, and wear a Seiko. It’s like smoking your favorite Pete rather than a Dunhill.

• Love
Reactions: macaroni

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I just had an Aragon with a Seiko movement checked out. It runs -1.0 seconds per day, so I’ll end up a minute late 2 months out…. Or 6 minutes late for Christmas dinner. Overall, I feel like Seiko just nailed it, like Acura or Lexus vs BMW, better at the high end, less costly, and more reliable. I have an SKX007, a turtle, a sumo, and a few non-Seikos with Seiko movements. That being said I’m counseling my father to buy a Seiko LX or a Submariner, sub for the investment, LX to hand down to me…. And someday I’ll have a Sub, and wear a Seiko. It’s like smoking your favorite Pete rather than a Dunhill.
Good thinking all 'round! Bravo!!
kindly
mike

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I find using a cell phone to tell time is damned inconvenient. This is on my wrist 24/7, unless I'm going to the symphony or some such event, in which case I have gold Seamaster DeVille from the early '70's, which was passed on to me from my uncle. Put the rubber strap on the Seamaster a few weeks ago and am really liking it. Currently eyeing a Sinn 556. They have a price increase coming in a couple weeks, so maybe it's time to get off the fence
IMG_1210.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
After being raised in a watch culture, I was predisposed to wear one, and I dutifully did so for years, until cost became an issue. At which point I stopped wearing them, reasoning that if I needed to know the time, I could easily get it from the many clocks that surround.

That was 26 years ago, and not wearing the time on my wrist hasn't been much of an imposition.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas

kindly
mike
First off, don't even own a cell phone. But have long worn wrist watches. Secondly, my 2 watches are an Armitron in steel with a great looking bracelet I bought for $45 some 30 years ago and some unknown watch with a great looking Zuni stone work bracelet I bought in Santa Fe for the bracelet also for $45 about 27 years ago at a jewelry store going out of business. Neither has needed servicing other then putting in new batteries.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
What’s the depth rating? Is the dial functional?

Casio is depth rated 200 meters and has a functional dial for $45.

It’s been worn continually for 18 months.
My Invicta is rated 200m also. Its good to get the seals checked every few years on any diving watch.
The dial turns and is thus functional. Didn't realize some didn't! Dials come in two styles, different edges.
The quartz Invicta sells for about the same as the Casio. The automatic is more but no batteries! Had it 5 years now. Got a glass back which is pretty neat. I believe its a Seiko movement (NH35A caliber).

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
My Invicta is rated 200m also. Its good to get the seals checked every few years on any diving watch.
The dial turns and is thus functional. Didn't realize some didn't! Dials come in two styles, different edges.
The quartz Invicta sells for about the same as the Casio. The automatic is more but no batteries! Had it 5 years now. Got a glass back which is pretty neat. I believe its a Seiko movement (NH35A caliber).
Good to know because I am a fan of the brands designs.

I'm not a diver, but I wanted something waterproof that I could use in any situation and not have the crytal fog up. Being battery was also preferre since I had a Hamilton Khaki once that stopped working because it needs to be serviced, which I was not aware, and was going to cost $200. And, I had a battery watch get wet inside, but continue to function.